X

Think my chain is no good

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think my chain is no good

After searching in here it sounds like I have a stretched chain, I just want to make sure. I noticed one day that the chain was really loose so I tightened it up just like it says in the book to about an inch of free play. Drove it around for a few days and noticed it was loose again. So I tightened it again and now its loos again. I planned on replacing the chain this winter since I had no idea how many miles were on it from the previous owners, but it looks like I might have to do it now

are you watching the adjuster slide thing to see if the chain is streaching or if the wheel is just sliding around? check and see how tight the bolts that hold the wheel on are.
    Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

there is a service limit,just need to measure so many links and see if it's in the limit.when they get out of adjust often IMO it's toast.also on stand roll the tire see if the slack changes.

Comment

I just tried to check the stretch limit as the Haynes book does, it tell you to check it over 21 pins which means I would need 13"+ calipers which I don't have, so a quick measurement with a tape measure it looks like it is stretched. The slack also doesn't seam to change all that much when I roll the wheel. Looks like its time to start chain and sprocket shopping.

Comment

Originally posted by axelpkt View Post
          I just tried to check the stretch limit as the Haynes book does, it tell you to check it over 21 pins which means I would need 13"+ calipers which I don't have, so a quick measurement with a tape measure it looks like it is stretched. The slack also doesn't seam to change all that much when I roll the wheel. Looks like its time to start chain and sprocket shopping.
          http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/1-all-products?page=2 this is were i buy my sprockets
          time to nut up or shut up
          Originally posted by Rican Katgrl
          The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

The hayne's also has a test where you attempt to lift the chain from the rear sprocket - can't remember the details right now.

Also, you are likely to get a noticeable performance increase with the new chain. Old chains can rob some power.
            -2000 "750"

Comment

I just looked through my haynes book for that check didn't see anything right away for that check. The chain definitely has some play around the rear sprocket, which I assume is not a good thing. Well new chain and sprockets ordered.

Comment

Working...
              X