X

Figuring new chain size with sprocket change

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figuring new chain size with sprocket change

I've read where it's pretty much standard to go up one link (which really is two since you have to have an even number of links) in chain length for every tooth increase in the front sprocket.

Pre 98 600 Frame / Chassis:

Going from 14/46 with 112 links

TO

15/47 and I was thinking 114 links.

So I'm just going to dremel off the pins that would allow me to take the chain down to 113 links, and adding the master link would make 114.

Correct or no?

Why are you going to 15/47?
    That isn't much change in ratio..
    From 3.28 to 3.13. Usually people leave the front the same and raise/ lower the rear.
    There are clearance issues with raising the front (not one tooth) and lowering the front increases the "bend" in the chain that can lead to increased wear.

One link per tooth is a good guess, but there are some other factors, like the increase in the tangent lines. If you are going with a master link go a few links over if you have any worried. Also I suggest the safety wire on the master link..

Comment

You can only size chains in even increments. Each "piece" is always two links.

Motorcycle speed and sprocket calculator with bike database for gearing, sprockets, tires and chains of over 1900 bikes. Request yours to be added as well.

If you want to go to a 16T front sprocket, you have to do some grinding on the front cover to make clearance.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I'm going to 15/47 simply because it's a step in the right direction AND I got a brand new RK 20K mile sprocket / chain set for less than $100...

Remember I'm runnin the stock 91 Kat 600 gearing of 14/46 with a post 98 750 engine. So 15/47 is at least a slight improvement.

I'll run the new chain on tonight and what it looks like with the wheel close to where I want it.

I'll be running a rivet type master link as well.
        Last edited by ctandc; 03-09-2010, 10:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I put 15/47 on the kat... and accidentally left the chain too long. I think you want either 112 or 114 links.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
            I put 15/47 on the kat... and accidentally left the chain too long. I think you want either 112 or 114 links.
            Yeah it was 112 links with the 14/46

So I'm thinking 15/47 would good with 114....

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
              Also I suggest the safety wire on the master link..
              +1 if you are using the clip type. That clip tends to explode at speed. I went through a few of them before I made the correlation. Rivet style do much better in the long term.
              Pics
              Pics
              No pics yet
              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

The 114 links with the 15/47 setup just seemed really long too me. I think it was a combination of the sprocket swap and the SV Chain adjuster swap (they don't loosen as much as the Kat pieces) I really wasn't comfortable with the adjusters being so far out when mounting a NEW chain.......

So I went with 112.....worked fine. Just need longer bolts for the SV Adjusters

This is place to post up your long term projects. Projects that took you a while to get done. Post them here. Examples like kwebbel's build up , B-12 engine swaps, swing arm swaps etc..would go here.

And I used a riveted master link. I can't understand why anyone would use a clip on type. The tool for pressing and riveting cost me $38 on Ebay. And even with directions that seemed written in pig latin, was SUPER EASY to use, and riveting them was easy.

Comment

Working...
                X