X

Cheng Shin tires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shinkos are definitely not "no name"...

To an extent, you do get what you pay for..but theres also the "bottled water has to taste better because I paid more for it" mentality.

Comment

Originally posted by chantra View Post
      Re Shinkos - Google that, mate....I looked at them as well. No way!
      I suggest you run the tires before you run your mouth. I've ridden on them, and a couple of close friends have ridden on them, with nothing but good things to say.

Did you notice that Teddy said he ran them for 6000 miles, including a trip to the gap, and a trackday? And you respond with "google that"?!?!?! Real word riding vs bench racing, bud.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
        I suggest you run the tires before you run your mouth. I've ridden on them, and a couple of close friends have ridden on them, with nothing but good things to say.

Did you notice that Teddy said he ran them for 6000 miles, including a trip to the gap, and a trackday? And you respond with "google that"?!?!?! Real word riding vs bench racing, bud.
        LOL...

you are sweet

I researched Shinko before I decided (against them)....that was done by reading rider reviews that I found through google....that is why I dont "run these tires" ..and then speak about them....I found no need for test riding after reading the reviews....most of them were negative. Now, put yourself in my position...you read reviews..and the majority comes across as very negative....would you buy these tires just to see for yourself? I would not...and that is all I said.

Good for Teddy if he has had good experiences, and great that you ran them on the track and were happy with them.....but what does that have to do with my opinion on the brand Cheng Shin, about which this thread is about?

Oh..and ask China how independent they see Taiwan
        I
        I
        I see you...

Comment

Thanks for advertising your knowledge. Now I have another persons post I don't need to read.
          Pics
          Pics
          No pics yet
          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Funny... I googled it, and I'm not seeing the mass of bad reviews....

Just a few random ones from the first page of google results.....

Originally posted by thetable View Post
            Thanks for advertising your knowledge. Now I have another persons post I don't need to read.
            Last edited by loudnlow7484; 01-13-2010, 07:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Congrats. mate...

and thanks for your interpretation of the term "knowledge"

EDIT - Looks like Shinko and Chen Shin are THE best brands after all....my bad I guess LOL
              Last edited by chantra; 01-13-2010, 07:29 PM.
              I
              I
              I see you...

Comment

When you eat up tires as fast as I do I'm more than willing to take a chance on a brand that looks like a good deal based on the personal experience of other riders that I ride with and respect. I, too, had some misgivings about "running" a set of Shinkos. But at 4 - 6 sets a year... I had to listen very carefully to what others were saying about them, especially if they ride the same bike I do. Yeah, we all know the Yokohama story, but they didn't get out of the motorcycle tire business because they made a bad tire.

Yes, in a perfect world with all planets in alignment and money coming out my wazoo, PP's would be on my bike now instead of the OEM's and I'd have 5 sets in the garage along with a changer. Reality is, I don't. But when you ride like I do I look for safety and DURABILITY first, maximum performance second.

I have to come to the defense of Teddy here because I was the one that suggested them in the first place. I was low on funds and needed new rubber and takeoffs were not an option. 5500 miles later I was still pretty impressed. Yes, I did run them during the summer so they were stickier than in winter. I don't drag a knee on ACH anymore but I do ride aggressively at times but I never once out-rode my tires.

Hard compound but great for commuting. The don't make an aggressive profile in a soft compound in my size but I'd try them if the did. Not too shabby for the price, and the safety is there, especially for most good to above average riding levels. The trackday fiends will notice the difference but not too much the rest of us schmos. I wouldn't put them down or anyone who rides on them - and I know about 26,000 folks that don't have a problem throwing a set on for a while.

Originally posted by chantra View Post
                EDIT - Looks like Shinko and Chen Shin are THE best brands after all....my bad I guess LOL

And I think you've misunderstood everything that's been posted here:

Cheng Shin does OK scooter tires but I really wouldn't recommend them for a Kat or a standard sport-sport/tourer bike. For a low priced tire I'd go with the Shinkos. Hard as nails, long lasting, not to bad for everyday running around, not the best for twisties or aggressive riding but pretty damn good for commuting.
                Last edited by tdrcomm; 01-13-2010, 07:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                sigpic

Comment

@ TDR = I can now see why the comments came.

My initial post was in direct reference to Post 1.
                  Then I was merely trying to explain myself....that might have come across wrong...if so, I do apologize to everyone for this...it was not intended at all! (I quit smoking..am a little edgy atm)
                  I
                  I
                  I see you...

Comment

I ran a cheng shin on my 79 yamaha xs750 Touring type bike liked it till it wore out in no time then i put a kenda challenger on it and will never run a cheng shin again unless i was on a road trip and had a blow out or something similar and had to have a tire to get home then i would do a big ole nasty burn out to get rid of it but again this is just my opinion and we all know what those are like
                    1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm View Post
                      Hard compound but great for commuting. The don't make an aggressive profile in a soft compound in my size but I'd try them if the did.
                      I hear this a lot about the profile. They're kind of round. It's a shame that they don't take the compound of the 003 (the drag-strip special) and make an aggressive profiled street tire out of it.

It looks like their newest model has a more aggressive profile, but I don't know what the compound is like. (And notice, with each subsequent model, their prices are rising..... it was only a matter of time I guess) http://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/product.php?id=69

Comment

Chen Shin makes tires for Honda rite?

Comment

Nope!
                          Pics
                          Pics
                          No pics yet
                          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by gsx View Post
                            Chen Shin makes tires for Honda rite?
                            Nope!

Maxxis sponsors alot of specific events... that's been anything from some form or on or off road racing to... major league baseball games.

I'm not aware of them being a tire of choice for any of the major 4 at this point.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                            X