Cheng Shin tires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheng Shin tires

Hello all!

I came across a decently priced tire, a Cheng Shin Barracuda V. I was considering purchasing it, but after shopping around, I noticed that Cheng Shin tires are relatively inexpensive in comparison to other brands, such as Dunlop and Bridgestone. I tried to Google it, and couldn't find hardly any reviews or anything on it.

Does anyone have an opinion on this particular brand? I'm just a casual rider, I don't do any racing or crazy stuff. I hardly ever ride in the rain; only if I get caught in it on the way home from school/work. Is this tire a good choice?

Thanks very much for any advice.
    Best regards,
    Paul W.

You get what you pay for. Cheng Shin tires are cheap and good for general transportation. I definitely wouldn't try and keep up with your buds on the twisties with them.
    Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
    Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

I bought some from JC Whitney back in 1996.
      They were fine for me on my 1981 Yamaha Maxim 650, a heavy cruiser.
      I never had a tire issue.

Mick M.
      Futurama: I Dated a Robot (#3.15)
      "I am Lucy Liu. Give me your spines."

Comment

They are bias ply, I wouldn't run them on the Kat.

If it has to do with tires & wheels, then you're in the right place.
        Best tire for a Katana? What's the tread life on a particular brand ? Size of a stock rim?
        Chains & Sprockets? These questions and so much more are addressed right here !
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

You didn't post a link or price so I have no idea how "cheap" you found them. A quick google and the site I found it was $200 for the set plus shipping.

You can get a set of Strada's for $30 more than that and there's ton's of reviews on them. Or go cheaper with some Shinko's, while shunned initially they have been getting good reviews on several boards I frequent.
          Kyle

Comment

Cheng Shin does OK scooter tires but I really wouldn't recommend them for a Kat or a standard sport-sport/tourer bike. For a low priced tire I'd go with the Shinkos. Hard as nails, long lasting, not to bad for everyday running around, not the best for twisties or aggressive riding but pretty damn good for commuting.
            sigpic

Comment

For me, I roll on Michellin Pilot Powers.....awesome tire

Found a new rear Polit Power tire on 58cycle.com for $114! With shipping it's about $137.

I highly recommed these tires
              The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'

Comment

Although I am now rolling Pilot Powers, I had Shinko 005's on my kat for quite a while and was very impressed with them. great commuting, and did me no harm down at the gap or at the trackday I did on them....

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                  Although I am now rolling Pilot Powers, I had Shinko 005's on my kat for quite a while and was very impressed with them. great commuting, and did me no harm down at the gap or at the trackday I did on them....
                  how many miles did you get out of the set of 005's?
                  Kyle

Comment

just shy of 6000 miles IIRC....they still had plenty of life to them too. They are in my garage for spares if I have a blowout with the powers. the only reason I swapped the out was because Wheeler had this set of PP take off's laying there for $50 and I couldn't resist the deal....

Would I run them again? You're damn right I would!

You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

I NEVER had any good experiences with Chinese made stuff.....I avoid it now at all costs...

I was also looking into cheaper tires....but decided to go with a well known and GOOD brand name instead....never save on tires as they are the things that connect you and your ride to the ground...and they are also the things that stop you (brakes only stop the wheel..the tires decide how long it will take you to stop the bike)

m2c
                      I
                      I
                      I see you...

Comment

Originally posted by chantra View Post
                        I NEVER had any good experiences with Chinese made stuff.....I avoid it now at all costs...
                        Cheng Shin is not Chinese, they are Taiwanese (Republic of China is not the same as People's Republic of China), and they have facilities world wide, including the US and Canada.
                        Pics
                        Pics
                        No pics yet
                        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by chantra View Post

I was also looking into cheaper tires....but decided to go with a well known and GOOD brand name instead....never save on tires as they are the things that connect you and your ride to the ground...and they are also the things that stop you (brakes only stop the wheel..the tires decide how long it will take you to stop the bike)

m2c

a good brand name has absolutely nothing to do with it. it's all about compounding. I've run Dunlops that were garbage, michelins that were garbage, and metzelers that were garbage. I'm sure some of the Shinko's are garbage, but the 005's i had on mine were absolutely stunning.

Comment

I'm going with Shinkos next...

I've found a dealer that has Shinko Ravens (190/rear 120/front) for $275/set mounted... $245 if you bring the wheels to them...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                              a good brand name has absolutely nothing to do with it. it's all about compounding. I've run Dunlops that were garbage, michelins that were garbage, and metzelers that were garbage. I'm sure some of the Shinko's are garbage, but the 005's i had on mine were absolutely stunning.
                              Umm...OK then let me re-phrase for you

I prefer a tire which has reviews because the company has been around for many years.
                              This I can easily find with established brand names such as Michellin, Metzler, Pirelli, Dunlop etc.

It is hard, if not impossible, to find these for no name brands....

Apart from the fact that Brand names usually have way more money and hence invested a lot more into their tire development that a pop up Chinese company......which is probably useless by default

Re Shinkos - Google that, mate....I looked at them as well. No way!
                              I
                              I
                              I see you...

Comment

Working...
                              X