Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire shelf life?...

Got a question:

What's the shelf life of a tire?
    I'm thinking of buying a couple sets at a time if I run across a good deal and store them in the garage. What's the shelf life? Is there any special technique for storage?
    sigpic

At the rate you ride, you could probably buy 5 sets and be fine! I wouldn't probably mount up a tire that's more than 4-5 years old, but everybody has their own opinions on this. It really depends on how it's stored, too. If the tire is sitting out in the sun all the time, it will wreck it in a hurry.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
      At the rate you ride, you could probably buy 5 sets and be fine!

That's kinda what I figured.

If I go through 3 sets a year (4 if I do a cross-country summer trip) I could make a big purchase during a killer sale at the beginning of the year and be golden, but I'm concerned about tires that go on sale.

Are they just overstocks or inventory that's been sitting in the warehouse for forever and they need the space?
      sigpic

Comment

Shelf life is no more than 4 years Tom. After that the rubber starts to get brittle. That is also on how you store them as well.
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
          Shelf life is no more than 4 years Tom. After that the rubber starts to get brittle. That is also on how you store them as well.

Isn't there a code on the tires that tells manufacture date?
          sigpic

Comment

Tom, based on running through 3 sets in a years' time, why not wrangle an arrangement with a tire company to send you a set every 4 months. Pretty sure you could get them to give you a discounted price, especially if you are going to replace both skins every time.
            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm View Post
              Isn't there a code on the tires that tells manufacture date?

Don't know if this is exactly how it is on bike tires, but here it is anyway,

Wha Cha! http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11
              -2000 "750"

Comment

Date code is on the tyre & most makers reccomend a shelf life of not more than 3 years

tone
                Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

tone nailed it, 3 years, and store them in a dry place out of light, preferrably(sp?) in a black plastic trash bag...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                  You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

get some of those vac bags but fill them with shielding gas no ox should give you some more shelf time
                    voting member of the 750 kat as your first bike club

94 750 katana (my prechuuuusssss)
                    82 1100 goldwing interstate (maybe a replacement for the kat)
                    83 650 Yamaha maxim (will run some day)

Comment

British Rubber Manufacturers Association says don't mount tires that are older than 6 years. (Well actually they said tyres, but that's beside the point.)

Bag them with as little extra air in the container as possible to help keep the volatile components from evaporating as quickly. Store away from brushed motors, Ozone might be good in the atmosphere, but it is bad down low. (You already knew that though being in SoCal.) Store them somewhere temperature controlled because they don't react well to fluctuating temperatures.

Oh yeah, let us know when you find that smoking deal on tires. I'm going through too many sets (4+ sets in 10 months on the oil leaker) to not find the absolute best deals out there.
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet
                      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

On the tire itslef there is a DOT number...the last four of the number are the week and year of manufacture of that tire. For an example...if the last for ar 0207...then the tire was built the 2nd week of 2007

Hope it hleps...BTW, that goes for ALL DOT tires including cars and trucks

Comment

And just out of curiosity, Marc said 5 years. http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/moto.../mc_tires.html

Originally posted by CP
                          Additionally, all motorcycle tires are normally marked with three or four digit code on their sidewalls, which represent the date of manufacture (the first two digits are the week of the year, the last digit is the year of the decade it was manufacturered in). Since modern cycle tires are only good for about five years from the date of their manufacture (the time period it takes the various compounds that keep the tire pliable and strong to evaporate out), knowing which year of a decade it was manufacturered is normally enough. Example: 011 would be a tire manufactured in January (1st week) of 2001. 118 would be a tire manufacturerd in the 11th week (between the 13th and 19th of March) of 1998 (since 2008 hasn't arrived yet, as I write this). As a general rule, newer tires are better, and we recommend you buy tires manufactured within the past 12 months whenever possible (obviously, if you have a flat away from home, you will take whatever you can get). Do not buy a four or five year old tire -- and if you buy an old bike, immediately check the tire age before riding it!
                          Pics
                          Pics
                          No pics yet
                          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Working...
                          X