X

Sprocket/chain alignment vs wheel alignment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprocket/chain alignment vs wheel alignment

I've heard of a few ways of aligning, and it seems they fall into two categories: sprocket/chain alignment and wheel alignment.

Tools to measure rear axle to swingarm axle distance, or adjusting until the sprocket is centered on the chain are based around sprocket/chain alignment.

Using boards or strings to align the front wheel with the rear wheel is wheel alignment.

Ideally they should yield the same results, but if the front end isn't perfectly straight, this won't be the case. Here's an illustration:

The front end misalignment is greatly exaggerated so the difference can be seen.

Sprocket/chain alignment is beneficial to those components, but can make the front and rear wheels track differently.

Wheel alignment can put extra stress on the sprocket and chain, but the wheels should track the same.

If there is a conflict, which alignment would you say is more important?

Originally posted by paul.miner View Post
    I can't accept that there needs to be a choice here. Fix both, be cause if the wheel alignment and the chain alignment don't match up... something is seriously wrong that can cause all kinds of other issues.

Fix the bent forks/frame, get the spacers corrected, replace the triple... what ever if is cuasing the whole issue to begin with.

Then, when the tires and chain can line up at the same time... pick the method that best suits you.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      I can't accept that there needs to be a choice here. Fix both, be cause if the wheel alignment and the chain alignment don't match up... something is seriously wrong that can cause all kinds of other issues.

Fix the bent forks/frame, get the spacers corrected, replace the triple... what ever if is cuasing the whole issue to begin with.

Then, when the tires and chain can line up at the same time... pick the method that best suits you.
      That would be ideal, yes, but this doesn't answer the question.

Suppose I went with the sprocket/chain alignment.. what kinds of issues would I have if the wheels were slightly out of alignment as a result?

Comment

That would be ideal, yes, but this doesn't answer the question.

Suppose I went with the sprocket/chain alignment.. what kinds of issues would I have if the wheels were slightly out of alignment as a result?

Some possilbe issues you would see depending on sevarity..
        • Seriously increased tire wear/cupping
        • Pulling to one side or another
        • Greatly reduced cornering capabilities
        • Handlebar slaps
        • Reduced traction (especially in the rain)
        To name a few...

I suppose then increased wear on the sprocket and chain would be the least of the worries, as long as you were keeping track not to run them as bad as the prior pictures you posted (broken chain can be pretty seriously damaging at speed even if you do keep it upright...)

But again... I have to come back to the aspect that something is the root cause of both issues, and should be looked at being repaired.

I'm going to assume since your asking these questions (after posting pics of some crazy worn sprockets... ) that you think you might have this issue? Any idea where the problem may be?

Krey
        Last edited by Kreylyn; 10-06-2009, 11:01 AM.
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          I suppose then increased wear on the sprocket and chain would be the least of the worries, as long as you were keeping track not to run them as bad as the prior pictures you posted (broken chain can be pretty seriously damaging at speed even if you do keep it upright...)

But again... I have to come back to the aspect that something is the root cause of both issues, and should be looked at being repaired.

I'm going to assume since your asking these questions (after posting pics of some crazy worn sprockets... ) that you think you might have this issue? Any idea where the problem may be?
          I don't know if I have this issue, and that's sorta what got me started on this. Normally I think you just pick a method and go with it, but unless you individually check both wheel and chain/sprocket alignment, you wouldn't know if there was a discrepancy.

Given that you're only aligning using one method or the other, which should take priority? It seems you're leaning toward wheel alignment over chain/sprocket alignment..? If the front wheel was a millimeter or two over relative to the rear wheel when pointed straight ahead, would that be significant?

Comment

I don't know if I have this issue, and that's sorta what got me started on this. Normally I think you just pick a method and go with it, but unless you individually check both wheel and chain/sprocket alignment, you wouldn't know if there was a discrepancy.

Given that you're only aligning using one method or the other, which should take priority? It seems you're leaning toward wheel alignment over chain/sprocket alignment..? If the front wheel was a millimeter or two over relative to the rear wheel when pointed straight ahead, would that be significant?
            I would not consider that significant at all...

Here is a simple test you can do...

Get a cup of water, pour it on a flat surface like your drive way. You want a small puddle of water, but large enough to cover 1 full rotation of the wheels.

Sitting on the bike, slowly roll it forward in a straight line but through the water, both wheels... keep going for a few feet past.

You should see the front wheel wet tracks are centered/covered by the rear wheel.

This is one quick and easy way to see where the wheels are "tracking" at.

If they are off, I would start looking at what the cause is... forks not adjusted right, swingarm warped/bent, frame damage? Again, depending on what is causing the issue... directly effects the choices of "which to focus on"...

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Comment

Both are equally important !

Wheel alignment should be checked first & any issues resolved, this gives you a solid & correct base for sorting out your chain alignment, on a stock bike with no mods both of these things should be easy to check & correct

on a bike with wheel of suspension mods it becomes a little more time consuming but still relitively simple & the same applies, wheel alignment then chain alignment

your assumption that the front wheel being off sligntly (bars turned) will affect wheel alignment is correct which is why you measure in 2 places from your straight edge in to the rim (front & back of the front rim)

tone
              Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Wheel would be #1(IMO), then chain. I used washers to get mine dead nuts.

Comment

Working...
                X