Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

i need advice, why would the chain do this?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need advice, why would the chain do this?

OKay, installed a new chain and new front and rear sprocket, stock size, 15T up front and 45T in rear. When the rear wheel is adjusted to tighten up the chain to the proper slack, the top portion of the chain is resting on the swing arm, were its covered with that rubber cover. WHY? It should be up higher, almost like the sprockets arent large enough in size to lift the chain higher off the swing arm. What am i missing?

Mine also does it. The chain eats some rubber but hey at least it's not grinding swingarm. I'm sure when the wheel is in motion the chain will come up a bit on the top.
    sigpic

Comment

Ya they all hit a little bit but as long as its tightened to specs then your good to go

Comment

wow okay, i was worried something wasnt right, but okay, i appreciate the info guys. I tried to rivit my own master link but dont trust it, when i get my carbs right, im gonna have a shop redo my master link.

Comment

could always post a pic so we can make sure its layign normal and not laying too much , mine does it also , btw but seems like mine is deepening the rubber more then i remeber or see on some other bikes too
          sigpic

Comment

On the center stand, mine will touch a bit, but as soon as there is load on the suspension, it clears with no problem.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger02 View Post
              I tried to rivit my own master link but dont trust it, when i get my carbs right, im gonna have a shop redo my master link.
              wow, thats sounds like some scary stuff. the chain is definitely not something you want to let go. especially at highway speeds. Please don't hesitate have the link done right ASAP!

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                On the center stand, mine will touch a bit, but as soon as there is load on the suspension, it clears with no problem.

Originally posted by Stinger02 View Post
                wow okay, i was worried something wasnt right, but okay, i appreciate the info guys. I tried to rivit my own master link but dont trust it, when i get my carbs right, im gonna have a shop redo my master link.
                Having a good friend who threw a chain at interstate speed, take this for what it's worth. Get your bike to the shop and deal with the masterlink before you do anything else.

Carbs go bad, the bike stops runnin'... big deal, no problem. Your masterlink goes bad and you could become a road crayola.
                Last edited by VifferJim; 08-31-2009, 08:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

no prob guys I got my carbs cleaned out, gonna tighten everything down, maybe take some slow back roads to get the bike to the shop so they can redo my master, i think it will hold but dont trust it at interstate speeds, next time ill do a clip till i can take it to a shop, ill take a pic asap of the chain but that makes sence about the lack of load on the rear wheel.

Comment

Working...
                  X