X

Widest rubber on rear wheel 1996 ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widest rubber on rear wheel 1996 ?

Whats the widest rubber I can safely slap on the rear wheel of my 96?

And If I can go wider with a newer kat rim
    which one?
    What size?
    and will it bolt to my swing arm?

Thanks

150/70

a newer kat-rim would be any post-98 rim you can lay your hands on.
    Its a direct swap and you"ll be able to use a 160/60 even 170/60 (Avon Azarro) tyre, however you'll have to mod the brakereactorarm in those cases.

Comment

Anyone ever mounted a 170/60 on a post 98 rim?

Any problems ?

Whats the rim size anyway ?

Comment

I have a 180 on the rear of my 99' Kat. It came with the bike when I bought it and I've had no problems with it (other than getting it to lean). I love the look of the FAT tire though. As far as I know, no modifications had to be made to fit the bigger tire. I can take pictures if you'd like.
        1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

Originally posted by crazyaussie
          I have a 180 on the rear of my 99' Kat. It came with the bike when I bought it and I've had no problems with it (other than getting it to lean). I love the look of the FAT tire though. As far as I know, no modifications had to be made to fit the bigger tire. I can take pictures if you'd like.
          if im not mistaken, the 180 has to do with tire height, not width. the 60/70 (middle number) is the tire width.

Comment

YESSSSS PICTURE

Comment

Originally posted by katana bob
              if im not mistaken, the 180 has to do with tire height, not width. the 60/70 (middle number) is the tire width.

180 is the width in mm, then the next number is the height but not in mm, its the percentage of the width, seriously im not fuckin with u.

Comment

Originally posted by donmega
                YESSSSS PICTURE
                All right, I'll take pictures as soon as I get home...I'm at work right now :smt015 .

Comment

thanks man. Ive been hunting but Im having a bitch of a time finding a 98+ rear rim, think I might just buy the swing arm and brake setup as well if I can find one and depending on the price. Its longer isnt it ?

Comment

Bigger not better?

Originally posted by donmega

180 is the width in mm, then the next number is the height but not in mm, its the percentage of the width, seriously im not freakin with u.

Yes it is!!!
                    "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Here is a pic of my rear tire. Sorry it's so crappy, I just got home and it was dark...bike is really dirty from a rain storm, but if you want more pics I can post tomorrow.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hmmm thought it would look a lil biggger.

Now I just need to find that wheel

Comment

It's kind of hard to tell from my photo how big it really is...you really need a side-by-side comparison to tell the difference. I didn't realize how wide it is until I went on a ride with Black_Peter (he has a 150). Not really sure how I can capture it any differently on camera though.

Comment

what modification has to be done to the brakereactorarm on a pre 98 for the wheel to fit? does that include the 180 tire? cause id love to put a 180 on the back
                            -Alex

Currently Looking for a pre 98 katana project

Comment

Working...
                            X