X

need help... tire size... again

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help... tire size... again

Hi, I bought a 93 katana gsx 750f last week and I would like to purchase a new set of tires. Now, I read a lot about the subject on this site, and guess what, it's confusing trying to make the right choice when you're a newbie like me.
    I'm 6'0 and I weight 220lbs. I'm a beginner but I need an excellent grip in wet and dry conditions. I know that the stock size for the rear tire is 150/70/zr17, but if I wanna go for a 160/60/zr17 what should I put in the front? I'll take my final decision from what you tell me in this thread... Thanks.

DO NOT put a 160 width tire on a 3.5" rim!

Comment

LOL ok too late!! Have had one on there for at least 2 years!
      Joker
      The newest addition to the Family!
      sigpic
      stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        DO NOT put a 160 width tire on a 3.5" rim!
        Please explain, why?

Tok

Comment

Obviously opinions are going to vary and Arsenic is actually right if your gonna follow the book to the T. Reasons are many, Including Tire deformation and Rigidity issues. Many of us have upped to a 160 with lil to no issues tho. I myself have had a 160 for years with aggressive riding habits and have had no problems to speak of. In fact I kinda prefer it for the larger footprint and grip Its achieved. But Its really not recommended at all. As of late im trying to aquire a 4.5 rim to goto a 170,(Thank you Krey for the heads up BTW!!!!) once again pushin the limits. (for nothin but looks at this point) But I cant complain 1 bit about a 160 on a 3.5..........So far. As far as the front goes Im runnin a 110 .....BUT.... I am told you can go as far as a 120 up front. with out any 3 tree mods.
          Last edited by JokerZwild; 06-19-2009, 03:03 AM.
          Joker
          The newest addition to the Family!
          sigpic
          stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

For the safest and best results please go to the website of the manufacturer. You'll generally be able to locate recommended wheel widths for your tires. If you can't find it there, you could use good old snail mail and they will send you information.
            Just because a tire fits a rim and holds air doesn't make it the best choice. And, just because someone got away with running the wrong size tire doesn't make it worth the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
              In fact I kinda prefer it for the larger footprint and grip Its achieved.
              I hate to be the one to point this out after such a nice call out, but...

Going 160/60 on a 3.5" rim will DECREASE the contact surface of the tire on the pavement compared to a 150/70.

I'm a pretty agressive rider, and have no issues with putting the bike over. The area I live in it's near impossible to find straight roads, and most places I ride are pretty seriously curvy. That said, this is the wear on a dunlop 160/60 riding hard in the curves....

You will notice the last 1" of the tire edge never saw pavement. I don't ride nearly that aggresively now days, and I still have less than 1/16th of an inch strips now with properly fitted tires. Oh, yes.... both sides look the same.

Most 160/60 tires are a little wide for the 3.5 rim, causing the tire to deform and the edges are pulled in. The effect of this is that you can't use the sides of the tire like it was desigend, without being so far over your scraping plastics....

I ran 160s for over 10 years myself before I saw the light. I'd be willing to say that general safety is fine, your still with in the limits and the likely hood of tire failure is really slim. Performance on the other hand IS decreased. Less contact surface all around due to the tire being mishapen, increased wear (small contact, more wear in general... ).

Your decision, but overall you will see better results from sticking with in the 150 size range.

Last note... a 160 once fitted onto the rim, is not going to be any wider really than a 150 fitted. The rim pulls the edges in.... If your looking for a wider tire, increase your rim size first.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok, thanks for the info, I'll go with the 150 for performance and safety reasons. I'll check for a wider rim next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  I hate to be...increase your rim size first.

Krey
                  Nice call. It's true, 160 is actually a performance downgrade from a 150.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

see, I didn't have to say anything

Comment

i need new tires as well this post has basicaly said the same thing i have heard already and makes sense

right now im running

140/80/17 rear
                      110/80/17 front

is there a diffrence in performance in the 140 to 150 and can i go bigger with the front as well?

Comment

Originally posted by wepainters View Post
                        i need new tires as well this post has basicaly said the same thing i have heard already and makes sense

right now im running

140/80/17 rear
                        110/80/17 front

is there a diffrence in performance in the 140 to 150 and can i go bigger with the front as well?
                        140/80 or 150/70 will work for the rear.
                        110/80 or 120/70 will work for the front.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                        X