X

A Question on Cornering and Traction

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question on Cornering and Traction

I'm pretty new to riding and I've noticed that when I'm coming a little quick into corners, it feels as if the rear wheel is no longer on the ground. I've experienced this while cycling, but now that I'm on a motorcycle I feel the stakes are a bit higher than on my little road bike.

So is that feeling of weightlessness a sign that I'm about to lose traction, or can I push it further?

Just for reference, I ride an '06 Kat 600 on Michelin Pilot Road tires, which I believe are properly inflated. Thanks for any and all help.

It sounds like the suspension might not be set up correctly.

Try reading up on this and see if it helps things out
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thanks, I didn't even know what that tool was for. Judging from the slight wobbles I felt at speed the other day, it wouldn't surprise me if it was the suspension. I hear that stock settings are focused around something like a 140 lb. rider, which is only 5lbs less than I weigh. So theoretically I should be able to adjust the suspension back to stock settings and everything should be good to go correct?
      Last edited by Phoenix Kat; 06-15-2009, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Yes, definitely suspension problems.

Sounds like the rear could be springing up and then is too slow to come back down. My Cbr was doing this before I had the suspension tuned. It is very dangerous when going into a corner, if this is what is happening. The rear of the bike will not be planted on the ground
        2007 Honda CBR600rr
        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
        sigpic

Comment

just dont over shoot your turns the kat is real heavy and its not a SS bike ..just take it easy till you get used to the turns in the hills . im 240 lb and its fine for me my rear shock is at #4 it gives some rebound back there and its fine .. belive me iv seen bikes get away in the corners from other guys when im behind them ..it can be death so ride safe and dont take chances

Comment

I checked a few minutes ago and realized my front suspension was set to the fifth 'click' as apposed to the second as the manual recommends. I'll see how she handles in the morning.

I suppose I'll ease up in the twisties until I have a bit more experience. Would a track day suspension set up be beneficial for street riding at all? I'm more than wiling to pay 50 bucks for peace of mind.

Comment

my frt. shocks are at 5 so they dont bottom out , i believe 6 is max . the kats a heavy tank road bike that hangs pretty good for the weight ..any thing more you might look for a boat load of trouble. and the bars are not like clip-ons down low for a real percise turn

Comment

Does anyone know what the recommended shock damping adjustment is for the '06 Kat is? I can only find the spring preload adjustment.

Comment

[QUOTE=Phoenix Kat;1742491]I'm pretty new to riding and I've noticed that when I'm coming a little quick into corners, it feels as if the rear wheel is no longer on the ground. QUOTE]

While this can be caused by poor suspension settings as mentioned above you will also get the same feeling if you brake too deep into corners while trying to turn or are a little heavy on the rear brake

I'm not sure that this is what you are doing but thought it worth mentioning as you said you are a pretty new rider

cheers tone
                  Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix Kat View Post
                    I'm pretty new to riding and I've noticed that when I'm coming a little quick into corners, it feels as if the rear wheel is no longer on the ground. I've experienced this while cycling, but now that I'm on a motorcycle I feel the stakes are a bit higher than on my little road bike.

So is that feeling of weightlessness a sign that I'm about to lose traction, or can I push it further?

Just for reference, I ride an '06 Kat 600 on Michelin Pilot Road tires, which I believe are properly inflated. Thanks for any and all help.

Simplest solution.....Slow the frig down!
                    Joker
                    The newest addition to the Family!
                    sigpic
                    stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Do a internet search for "motorcycle suspension setup". You'll get a good education on the basic dynamics involved. Of course you'll need to sort thru a lot of crap too but that's the internet for you.
                      I do very much agree with those that suggested "slow down" and to develop your riding skills before charging into disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
                        Simplest solution.....Slow the frig down!
                        Also the least fun, defies the point of owning a sportbike, and is unneccessary with the correct suspension set up.

My front is set up very stiff, if I'm hard on the front brakes at all (7/10 or more) the rear WILL raise and lose some traction.

90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

All ya need to know: http://www.gostar-racing.com/club/mo...0YOUR%20WEIGHT
                          Originally posted by arsenic
                          93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

My first question would be is the spring and sag correct for you weight, If not it is a waste to adjust anything without them being correct. On that note if they are correct it sounds like you have too much rebound damping. I don't know about the 06 600 but my 06 750 has way too much rebound damping and that was with the adjuster on #1.

So what do you weigh? Ride single or double?

Tmod

Comment

Wow, both of the above links have great info thanks. I read and bookmarked both of them for future reference. I plan on making adjustments tomorrow after work. I weigh around 150 lbs. and only do one-up riding right now, no exceptions.

Comment

Working...
                              X