X

New tire.... same story

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tire.... same story

Well as many of you know I had to plug my tire on a ride in Florida... Bad Day. Well today I got my new tire installed. I was showing the new tire to my friend and I GOT ANOTHER DAMN SCREW IN IT. I got maybe 50 miles on this tire. Now, I didn't ride it flat or do an emergency roadside repair. I can't keep forking out money for new tires. I think I am going to get a mushroom plug installed on this one and call it a day.

This is per bridgestones website

Tire Repair
    Bridgestone recommends only a patch plug combination type repair.
    A. The tire must be demounted from the wheel and repaired by a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle dealer.
    B. The tire should not be operated over 50mph during the first 24 hours and it should never be operated in excess of 80 mph
    C. No form of temporary repair should be used as a permanent repair
    D. Bridgestone will not warranty any tire with an improper repair
    Last edited by Pacerman; 06-10-2009, 08:12 PM.
    ...peaking from under a sleeping bag..."Hi, I'm Zuma"

I'm already in a club but we have Bombers, Fighters and Big Friggin Guns!!!

Patch repair, from the inside wall, is what my local Suzuki does to me as well.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

You might want to read my thread about the AMA and Tire Road Hazard stuff:
      KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
      and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

Could help you in the future from EVER having to pay for another tire just because of a fricken screw... Been there done that...
      2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
      Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
      "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
      Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
      Veteran of the United States Air Force.
      "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

yeah plugs are only temporary.... do you know how many flats we get and its a plug ether an other garage put in or the customer.... alway go with patch they work alot beter.... plug dries and leaks or gets eaten by the belt and leaks.... patch is a lil more expensive but is good for the life of the tire

Comment

that stinks! yea gotta go with the patch,at least it will last the life of the tire, that AMA plan looks like the bomb! gonna check that out today!
          WOW! your bikes really fast! you were flying when i passed you!

xbox live= katana11
          We Will Always remember!
          sigpic

Comment

Stop running over screws!!!

Seriously though, do you ride through a construction area often, or is the shop near one?
            2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
            BMC Notorious 918 HT
            2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Other than the constant state of road construction around here no. I might of run over it at my house. I just ripped out the cabinets in the bathroom... IDK

Comment

Since they seem to be getting rear tires for you, I would suggest picking up a little rubber flap to mount the the front chin. Usually the front tire will pick up the screw or nail and stand it on end so that it can poke a hole in the more expensive tire.
                Pics
                Pics
                No pics yet
                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                  Since they seem to be getting rear tires for you, I would suggest picking up a little rubber flap to mount the the front chin. Usually the front tire will pick up the screw or nail and stand it on end so that it can poke a hole in the more expensive tire.
                  +1

Pretty standard mod for a lot of European riders.

Other thoughts:
                  Some dealers offer road-hazard warrantees on all brands of tires, and I know CycleGear used to offer it for a certain up-charge (don't know if they still do; was free replacement up to 25% of tread life, then pro-rated after that).
                  Avon supposedly has a road hazard warrantee for their tires in the USA & Canada now, but I couldn't find any mention of it on their website. Metzeler & Pirelli both used to offer it (not widely publicized at the time), but have retracted that in the US market; they still offer out-of-round/off-balance warrantees as standard.
                  There are third-party road-hazard warrantees available, such as from this outfit, which includes tire replacement & wheel damage repair/replacement: Paragon Motor Club (not an endorsement of this outfit).

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Pacerman View Post
                    Well as many of you know I had to plug my tire on a ride in Florida... Bad Day. Well today I got my new tire installed. I was showing the new tire to my friend and I GOT ANOTHER DAMN SCREW IN IT. I got maybe 50 miles on this tire. Now, I didn't ride it flat or do an emergency roadside repair. I can't keep forking out money for new tires. I think I am going to get a mushroom plug installed on this one and call it a day.
                    I totally feel ya. I once went through three rears in two weeks just like you did. Patch is better than plug but new tire is preferred.

You might want to do what I did after my first experience with a Shinko.

I bought a set on-line for $199 and stuck them in the garage as a spare so that the next time the road hazard godz were unkind to me I could throw on the Shinkos for a month or two until I could scrape up the coin for the Pilot Powers or Qualifers I really wanted. They're good in a pinch (and not too bad for daily riding and commuting, either).
                    sigpic

Comment

well i have already ordered my new battlax. should be waiting on me at home when i get back from vacation.

Comment

Been there ,dude . The year of my bike commute . Picked up a staple one day , then a chunk of glass in the replacement a couple weeks later . SOmetimes the gods like to mess with you .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                          +1

Pretty standard mod for a lot of European riders.

Other thoughts:
                          Some dealers offer road-hazard warrantees on all brands of tires, and I know CycleGear used to offer it for a certain up-charge (don't know if they still do; was free replacement up to 25% of tread life, then pro-rated after that).
                          Avon supposedly has a road hazard warrantee for their tires in the USA & Canada now, but I couldn't find any mention of it on their website. Metzeler & Pirelli both used to offer it (not widely publicized at the time), but have retracted that in the US market; they still offer out-of-round/off-balance warrantees as standard.
                          There are third-party road-hazard warrantees available, such as from this outfit, which includes tire replacement & wheel damage repair/replacement: Paragon Motor Club (not an endorsement of this outfit).

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          yeah they use to do it for cars to but in jan 2005 most of the companies abolished it..... so maybe they did the same with motorcycles tire at the same time..... cause i know for cars they had to send every thing to the gov in can and us.... since the ford and firestone problem.

Comment

Working...
                          X