X

Questions on new chain and sprocket

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on new chain and sprocket

I have a 96 600. I ordered a chain - sprocket kit from BikeBandit. The kit size: 14 /42 teeth. Here are my questions:

1: if the stock size is 15 / 45 what will this change do?

2: what is the front sprocket nut size (32mm)?

3: is the preferred method of chain removal cutting?

4: can I install the master link on the new chain with a c clamp or will I need a tool?

5: Should I get some chain-breaker tool to take the onld off and install the new?

1.) I believe you will be at exactly the same place. -1 front is about +2.5-3 in the back, and then you're going down three in the back.

2.) I think so, not too sure to be honest.

3.) Yeah, dremel that sucker.

4.) I imagine you'll need a tool with the little cone shaped point on it to get the rivet spread. CP sells them for cheap.

5.) See #3
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I now have the kit in my hand and it is actually 14 /46 so I am guessing no big change? I wans't really looking for any type of change in acceleration just needing a new chane.

Wait so going both down on the front gear and up on the back gear will have some effect. Hopefully not too much? You know I really don't know what exactly in on the bike until I start taking it apart. I was just going by what I've been reading.
      Last edited by srj; 06-10-2009, 05:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I think 14/46 is actually stock for the Pre98 Kats...
        sigpic
        »Ross Wendell
        »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

Originally posted by RossW View Post
          I think 14/46 is actually stock for the Pre98 Kats...
          My pre 600 was 14/45, and some came with 45's or 47's (cant remember, Arsenic explained it to me one time and I forgot ) the 750's were 47 I think.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

yeah, I think they switched the 600s from 14/45 to 14/46 somewhere around 92.
            sigpic
            »Ross Wendell
            »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

www.gearingcommander.com

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Hey thanks that Gearing Commander site is nice.

Comment

Okay so I have replaced the chain now. On my 96 600 it was 14 /45 the kit I bought was 14 /46.

Comment

Working...
                  X