X

New tires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tires

I getting new shoes put on my bike this week. It will be the first time I've had 2 brand new tires on a bike. The salesman mentioned something about them being slippery at first and to be careful. I was just wondering if someone could explain what exactly I need to be careful doing besides just cornering and if theres any way to speed up the breaking in process I guess.

I wish I had the stuff to change the tires myself because the dealer is ripping me a new one at $68 per tire, and thats having bought the tires from them.

Tires used to come with the mold release agent on them, but I think now they've got to where they don't use it. But still, yes, new tires are a bit slippery until you break them in. The key to getting them up to shape is numerous heat cycles, get em hot then let it sit. I was cautious about the first 100 miles or so and then started getting into them, worked fine for me

You can see it at the edge of the tire here, still haven't worked over to the racing slick section so it's virgin.

What kinda tires you getting? Just curious
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Bridgestone bt-016

Comment

Let us know how you find the 016's on the Kat. Just take it easy for 50-100 miles, no kneedragging or hard stops and you'll be fine.
        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

I'll let you know how they are...but I don't have a Kat anymore. What Pirelli's are those Scotty? I was running Corsa's and wanted to continue using Pirelli but the dealer doesn't sell them, so gonna try Bridgestone.
          Last edited by beherenow71; 05-12-2009, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Pretend like it is somebody else's bike for the first 50-100 miles and slowly build up lean angle and throttle brake input. They will be slippery at first, but a little riding will get the scuffed in, in short order.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

$68 a tire?!?!

Good God, man! Go somewhere else! Somewhere that sells the tire you want and doesn't screw you over in the process.

A couple of tire levers, a few squares of milk carton (to prevent scratching the rim) and whatever tools you need to remove the wheels would barely cost that much. And then you would be able to change your own tires forever!

Comment

the shop i go to only charges about 30 bucks per tire. so i would definitely start looking for a new place when it comes to getting tires changed
                2004 Katana
                GO OWLS!!!

Comment

I assume that it's $68 a tire with the wheels still on the bike. I just had mine done and it was $60 a tire at Powersports Pro in Omaha. The other shops wanted around the same price.
                  Semper Fi
                  1 Mar Div 3rd LAR BN (01-05)

Comment

There aren't many choices here. Couple other places I don't like because they look down on sport bikes, and they don't sell the tires as cheap. $68 is bringing the whole bike in. I'm going to try to take just the rear tire in tomorrow, if I have time, they only charge $35 if I do that.

edit: Jim beat me to responding, $68 is on the bike. Sadly they are expensive, but they are always real nice and helpful as they rob me blind. And to be more specific, the other places may save me $10 a tire, but their tires cost more so its a wash. On a side note, Star City Motorsports is having an open house this weekend, car and bike show on Sunday I believe, which I'm going to try to attend.
                    Last edited by beherenow71; 05-12-2009, 09:19 PM.

Comment

$35 is more reasonable. Still, if you know how to take the wheels off, you can change the tires yourself, too.

Independence! I have gotten to where I can change front and rear in under 2 hours start to finish. It's not that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by beherenow71 View Post
                        What Pirelli's are those Scotty? I was running Corsa's and wanted to continue using Pirelli but the dealer doesn't sell them, so gonna try Bridgestone.
                        Diablo Rosso 120/60/17 and 180/55/17. Dey's like GLEW!
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

i have just asked a set of michelin pilot road for my kat.only the rear is 400 liras which is 250 dollars.
                          the tires are f*** expensive here.because of the damn custom taxes

Comment

Now I know why I bought tire levers. Wow, $35 with wheels off ! Think I'm going to open a motorcycle tire shop !
                            2000 Katana 600
                            2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

changing the tires really isnt that big of a deal once you break the bead.but balencing them thats where i have trouble
                              WOW! your bikes really fast! you were flying when i passed you!

xbox live= katana11
                              We Will Always remember!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X