X

OK how bout Pre 98 tires???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK how bout Pre 98 tires???

So basically I have been working on my Kat trying to get her road worthy and all. The tires have been sitting for like four years and although they don't look to bad there are some signs they should be replaced very soon. I do not intend to put any more miles on them then absolutely necessary. So which tires might I want to look at. It looks like I don't have lots of choices in the stock size of 110/80/R17 140/80/R17. It also does not look like I have to much room to go up in size either

What are you Old Skool guys running? The Battlax's that are recommended in the Fitment guide thread?

Any help would be appreciated before I make a move.
    89' Katana 600

Come on guys I know you have some great advice for me on this one??

89' Katana 600

Comment

I just picked up some Metzeler Z6s, a lot of guys here seem to like them and I was run the Z4s before. I had about 200 miles on the rear when I got a flat (see post 1st flat for details), but with the riding I got on it I liked it. I should get my replacement on Monday, the front is changed over now (waiting for the new rear) I'll let you know what I think after I get a little wear.
      93' 750, I just washed the bugs off, let's go for a ride!

Comment

You get a 150 on the bad no problem.

Buc
        it's my opinion......that's what makes it mine..

Toronto Canada that is

Comment

If I can go up to a 150 in the back that will give me many more options. The Pilot roads were the tire I was actually wanting, but they no sell in me stock size 140 for rear tire.

Thanks,
          89' Katana 600

Comment

humm yea try www.americanmotorcycletire.com
            or something liek that

Comment

The sticker on my Katana clearly says 110/80-17 front and 150/70-17 Rear.
              Ich lebe mein Tod, Tag für Tag!

Willkommen zu meiner Welt...

Comment

What tires are you running Susser?

If they fit I will be so happy to run the 150 pilot roads.

It looks tight to me.

Are there any concerns with running a tire one size bigger? Rubbing, handling, etc...?
                89' Katana 600

Comment

The front won't accept anything bigger (and I can't think why you would want to get a 90 tyre in there!).

Currently I'm running MT75s, 110/front 150/rear, and I've seen some pre 98 Kat 750 running 160s, but I haven't had a chance to check if they modified something (I think that the bar holding the caliper would be the only concern to run a 160).

I'm running MT75 as tires are expensive here, I paid for them $150, when I could have got some nice Z6s in the us for $190

But I can't get a set of Z6s in here, they aren't available, and some similar set of tires goes for at least $400
                  Ich lebe mein Tod, Tag für Tag!

Willkommen zu meiner Welt...

Comment

I'm running 160/60 in the rear and 110/70 in the front, when I bought the bike it had a 170/60 on the rear, I rode it like that for 3 years and now I've down graded mostly because of the concerns I've read here. Since I bought the bike with the 170 I don't know if there was any modifications prior to that, I do know they had some work trying to get the 170 on the rim.
                    93' 750, I just washed the bugs off, let's go for a ride!

Comment

I have a 160/60-17 on the back, and 120/70/17 on the front, Dunlop D208ZR's. No modifications to make them fit. Stock 1990 wheels. Downsides are.... many! Tire wear/failure problems, strange profile made by tire bowing out so much, excessive heat from tire flex, excessive pressure on rim lip. Stick to 150's on pre-98 wheels, and if you just can't live without a 160, switch to 98+ wheels.
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Guys , the 600 uses a smaller tire , 140/something-or-other , and the 750's use the 150/70 stock , so ...
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I have been told for Pre 98 600's:

120/70/17 For the fronts

150/70/17 For the rears

I'm getting Diablos, or Diablo Stradas in the next 2 weeks or so

Comment

But STOCK the pre 98's come with a 140/something (80?) . Dunno why , but there it is , as is my understanding .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I have a 90 750 and I run D205's - 110/80 front and 150/70 rear
                              I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Working...
                              X