X

It's gone limp! (chain that is...)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's gone limp! (chain that is...)

I was doing some checks on my bike last night, and found that my chain is very loose under the swing arm, but pretty tight on the top. The bottom moves enough for the chain to touch the swingarm, but the top only moves about an inch. When I pull on the chain at the sprocket, it hardly moves...
    Is this normal or to I need to tighten things up a bit?
    For reference, it is a 94 600 with 11K miles on it. It had a new chain and sprockets a while ago, but still have a little less than half the adjustment left on the swingarm.

Cheers,
    -Izzy

"If you're gonna be a turd, go lay on the lawn."
    -My wife

I had the same happen to me, my chain was stretched beyond repair (you can actually see it in my garage on here). Adjust your axle back and see if that helps, if the problem still persists...eh...
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

wow i came in here thinking something totally different

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

If your chain is that loose try adjusting like stated above. There is also a thread on here that talks about chains. If you can pull the chain off the rear sprocket from behind then it needs to be adjusted. If it can not be adjusted time for a new. Then you come see me Any what brand chain is it? Most chains have a mileage warranty. Might want to check into that if you bought the chain.
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

So should the chain be tight on the top and loose on the bottom of the swing arm, or tight all the way around (with the recommended amount of movement)?

It only moves about a millimeter on the sprocket.

As for the make of the chain, I don't know. Bike is 1 year new to me.

Cheers,
          -Izzy

-My wife

Comment

Alright, here is my guess. You are parked on slight hill with the front facing up the hill and the bike in gear. Put the bike in neutral, and/or on the centerstand. Then when you push/pull on the bottom/top the other side will go tight.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Ok...now I feel like a moron. That totally makes sence mechanically. I had it in gear.

Thanks!
              -Izzy

-My wife

Comment

No need to feel like a moron. I once adjusted my chain three times before I realized I was doing exactly the same thing.
                Pics
                Pics
                No pics yet
                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                  Alright, here is my guess. You are parked on slight hill with the front facing up the hill and the bike in gear. Put the bike in neutral, and/or on the centerstand. Then when you push/pull on the bottom/top the other side will go tight.

Ahhh...good call.

Even if that's not what's happening to izzy that's good info. I've always check the chain on a level driveway, in gear or not. I can see how being on a hill in gear would cause that symptom.
                  How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                  How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                  How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                  How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
                  X