Continental Sport Attack Tires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continental Sport Attack Tires

All I can say is... DAAAAAAAAAMN!

I've had my Conti Sport Attacks for about 400 miles now, and they are absolutely AMAZING! I took my bike up in the canyons today for the first time since I got the new tires, and I could not believe the confidence these suckers instilled! I regularly ride with the same group of sportbike/supermoto guys, on the same canyon roads (Glendora Mountain Road - aka "GMR" for all of you SoCal locals), so I have a good familiarity of the areas where I'm slow/weak/nervous. But today, I felt like Mat Mladin! I was staying right with two of my friends that usually manage to put a gap between us during our canyon runs.

I'm coming off a set of Metzeler Z6's - Everything you'll read (the consensus, anyway) on these forums about the Z6's are true. They are very good tires - much better than the stock Dunlop D205's my '01 750 came with.

HOWEVER, I feel like these Sport Attacks have helped me take my riding to the next level. I scraped both footpegs in a few areas that I'm not typically confident in - for me, that says alot! I'm not usually able to consistently "stay in the pack" with the 2 friends I mentioned above when I was on my Z6's, so I definitely know there's a difference... I found it so much easier to hold my lines, lean into the turns, and even to adjust my lines in the middle of sweepers when I needed to avoid debris, oncoming bikers, etc.

Granted, these tires are TRUE sport tires, not sport-touring like the Metzelers, but I really didn't expect to feel such a big difference. An added bonus is that I actually paid almost $20 less for this set (about $238 delivered vs. $256) than the Z6's I bought last year! I may not be so chipper in a few months when I start seeing the effects that my canyon riding has on the tires' treadlife, but right now, I feel like this is the best money I've spent in a long time. Oh, in case you were wondering, I went with the 160/60 rear, 120/70 front.

Thanks to all of you who have posted something/anything in the "Tire Talk" section. I did ALOT of reading before making this decision.

Oh, and special thanks to Edbean. Edbean is the only strong proponent of these tires I've come across on these forums. His two cents in the tire threads definitely helped me make up my mind, even though he didn't always go into great detail. (I think a few of his posts just said "Sport Attacks. Trust me!" haha

A few other things worth noting:
    - The ride on 60 series (lower profile) tires is noticeably rougher. It's the first thing I noticed.
    - Steering on these Conti's becomes substantially lighter and sharper. This may unnerve some.
    - I didn't feel any adverse effects from going with the 160 rear that some people talk about... The bike seems to fall into turns much quicker than before!
    - Take it easy the first 100 miles, my rear got squirrely on the way home off some bumps with only medium throttle!
    - I called Contintental for some advice on tire pressure, they were surprisingly helpful!
    - I feel like I lost a little bit of grunt off the line (from a stop) - does that sound right with a lower profile rear?
    - I'm guessing my speedo is off now, right?
    - I'm not convinced yet that my straight-line braking has improved much/any. Then again, I could easily be wrong without having the benefit of testing.

As 60% of my riding is in the twisties, I think I made a solid choice. I probably would have stuck with the Z6's if I did more cruising, they really are great tires, and I would get them again, but if you're like me, and you do alot of carving, give these bad boys a try!
    Cheers!

Nice write up. I'm interested in the mileage you will get out of them. I am going to order a set of tires later this week. Right now, I'm torn between z6, diablos, or conti's...sheese, I can't make up my mind.
    sigpic

Comment

Its amazing how something as simple as a tire choice makes all the diff! I have a set of Avons on mine atm and yes I agree it just raises the bar completely!!! great write up!!! Best O luck with em!!
      Joker
      The newest addition to the Family!
      sigpic
      stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Remember the feeling you have now, of these NEW tires, and compare it to how they feel 6 months or 5k miles later... If it's the same then you've got a legitimate winner of a tire choice.... Just don't want you to write off the Z6 based on how it felt last to you.. as a USED tire...

I the difference myself as the only tire I had on my kat when I was riding it was a Metz and I didnt ride enough to replace it...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Congrats, The sport-touring Road-Attacks are just as good
          myspace
          2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

I am also told these stick in the rain real well when needed.
            Last edited by uniquelyme; 05-04-2009, 09:13 AM.

Comment

I put a set of the Conti Sport Attacks on last season and have 4,000 miles on them and I love them I will buy them again for my next tire. I can not beleive the grip these tires still have after the milage I put on them. They are great in the rain also.

Comment

As to your feeling a "loss of grunt" off the line, the opposite should be the case. You effectively lowered the gear ratio. And yes your speedo is off about 2 to 3 percent and since your stock speedo was probably wrong by 2 to 3 percent, your now off about 5 to 6 percent from reality.

Comment

I have the sport attacks on my pre as well, it feels like the heavy old girl is considerably lighter with them. Much more confident in a lean. Some may not like the "tippy" feel as some have put it. It turns in MUCH faster with the Conti's. Once you have put a few miles on them that

Wet riding with them is also fantastic, one day in the rain, I "played" around with accel and braking to find the "breaking point". Much more confident in the rain than my z6's and the z6's were great. I also took a set of s curves alittle faster each time through to see the lean angle in rain. It was raining pretty hard and I was able to comfortably do 70 in a 40 mph curve in the rain. ( I worked up to the 70 didn't just go for it) I wasn't willing to push it much more as I know under normal circumstances I wouldn't be pushing it that hard in the rain but it was good to know where my limits are.
                  Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

Hey GregS, thanks for your input. that's interesting. what has made me raise my eyebrows is that i've stalled from stop signs several times after getting the new tires, and i don't usually ever stall unless i'm really tired after 200+ miles of riding.

Jimbo, yeah "tippy" is a great adjective for the way they feel, took a few miles to get used to the "tippiness"... haha

aaron210, i definitely hope i get at least 4000 miles! How far along is the treadwear on yours?

Mat0302, just curious if you've had the benefit of trying them both? or are you going by what others have said?

allblackcat, i'll definitely keep that in mind - but i doubt my riding buddies have gotten any slower, in fact, one of them was on a fresh set of Bridgestone BT016's that he hasn't shut up about since he got them... i took it as a very good sign that I was staying with him when he already usually gaps me! if i start to feel the tires give more as the miles rack up, i'll let you guys know!

thanks for the other comments!
                    Last edited by BelvedereAndTonic; 05-05-2009, 01:28 AM.
                    Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by BelvedereAndTonic View Post
                      Oh, and special thanks to Edbean. Edbean is the only strong proponent of these tires I've come across on these forums. His two cents in the tire threads definitely helped me make up my mind, even though he didn't always go into great detail. (I think a few of his posts just said "Sport Attacks. Trust me!" haha
                      I have raved about them many times on here. I have been running the Sport Attacks on both of my bikes. They're excellent tires.
                      2007 Honda CBR600rr
                      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                      sigpic

Comment

my bad!

Hey Zepp,

Didn't mean to leave you out, you definitely have also raved about Conti's, although I believe most of your posts recommend the Road Attacks.

When I was doing my "pre-purchase" reading, I think EdBean's comments weighed a bit more in my decision because he's on a Kat. (No offense - believe me, I like CBR's, and I would LOVE a ZX-14!) But, in the course of reading up on tires, I've come across drastically different reviews on different tire/bike combinations, so I gave more weight to an opinion from someone who rides the same thing I do.

With that said, I think everyone would benefit if you wrote in more detail about your experiences with the Conti's, because there's so much info on these forums about Metzeler's and Pirelli's, which is great, but I think people would appreciate more insight on some of the other options out there...

Heck, if I read more glowing reviews on the Shinko's, I would have definitely considered them, especially for the price! But I would want to see more detailed reviews, from people like myself who love to RIDE, and not just get from point A to point B.
                        Cheers!

Comment

I put a set of Sport Attacks on my Ninja. From the first ride I was banging corners with a lot more confidence. In short I agree 100% these tires are awesome!!!
                          sigpic

A Fine is a Tax you pay for doing wrong!
                          A Tax is a Fine you pay for doing well!

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/Chuckwick357/

Comment

Just want to chime in with my 2 cents. I picked up a set of Sport Attacks about 2 weeks ago and have to agree with everything that's been said here. I expected the quicker turn-in after reading some reviews, so it wasn't unexpected. I've only got a couple hundred miles on them, but have to say that they're great tires so far. Combined with my Hayabusa shock my Kat feels like a whole different bike.
                            sigpic

In Life, you either lead, follow, or circumnavigate the whole process....

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckwick357 View Post
                              I put a set of Sport Attacks on my Ninja. From the first ride I was banging corners with a lot more confidence. In short I agree 100% these tires are awesome!!!
                              You got to see how well the Sport Attacks handled on my bike last year, at the Rally.

These tires rock!!!!
                              2007 Honda CBR600rr
                              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X