X

Continental Sport Attack Tires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scrapin' pegs!

I just wanted to post a little follow-up. Up until this past weekend, I've only scraped my footpegs a handful of times in the course of 3 years of riding. But this past weekend in the canyons, I was scraping them AT WILL! I absolutely cannot believe the level of confidence these tires have instilled in my riding. The friends I usually ride with also commented that I seemed like a different rider out there! I actually managed to put a 10-15 second gap between myself and one of my sportbike buddies, whereas before, he would usually put that much of a gap between us when he was out front. Absolutely amazing.
    Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by BelvedereAndTonic View Post
      A few other things worth noting:
      - The ride on 60 series (lower profile) tires is noticeably rougher. It's the first thing I noticed.
      - Steering on these Conti's becomes substantially lighter and sharper. This may unnerve some.
      - I didn't feel any adverse effects from going with the 160 rear that some people talk about... The bike seems to fall into turns much quicker than before!
      - Take it easy the first 100 miles, my rear got squirrely on the way home off some bumps with only medium throttle!
      - I called Contintental for some advice on tire pressure, they were surprisingly helpful!
      - I feel like I lost a little bit of grunt off the line (from a stop) - does that sound right with a lower profile rear?
      - I'm guessing my speedo is off now, right?
      - I'm not convinced yet that my straight-line braking has improved much/any. Then again, I could easily be wrong without having the benefit of testing.
      What insight did they have to share? I've been wondering what air pressure I should set mine at. I have a Conti Sport Attack on the front only with a Pirelli Diablo Strada on the rear. I got the Sport Attack for $40 with about 85% tread left from a guy that "had to sell his bike for an engagement ring." HAHA
      1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

Originally posted by crazyaussie View Post
        What insight did they have to share? I've been wondering what air pressure I should set mine at. I have a Conti Sport Attack on the front only with a Pirelli Diablo Strada on the rear. I got the Sport Attack for $40 with about 85% tread left from a guy that "had to sell his bike for an engagement ring." HAHA
        I had the Road attacks and had them set at 36 front 41 rear I weigh about 220 and got a little over 12,000 miles out of them.
        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

tipping the scales

As far as tire pressure, I needed pretty specific advice, pertaining to my massive weight. (I'm about 310 lbs geared up, which is pretty close to any of the rest of you riding three-up with your wife and girlfriend-on-the-side!)

In my case, they recommended 38psi front, 40psi rear for performance/street. For highway riding and max treadlife, they recommended 40psi front, 42psi (MAX) rear.
          Cheers!

Comment

As far as tire pressure, I needed pretty specific advice, pertaining to my massive weight. (I'm about 310 lbs geared up, which is pretty close to any of the rest of you riding three-up with your wife and girlfriend-on-the-side!)

In my case, they recommended 38psi front, 40psi rear for performance/street. For highway riding and max treadlife, they recommended 40psi front, 42psi (MAX) rear.
            I'm not too far from you bud prolly a good 290. thanks for the info tho!
            I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

He was so full of knowlege it's astounding
            Reading the news, my heart was pounding.
            My prayers go out to his family & friends.
            He is the best there was and ever been.
            RIP Marc "Cyberpoet" Glasgow

Comment

Conti Sport Attacks vs. Road Attacks!

I just wanted to post a follow-up on my previous posts about my INCREDIBLE Conti Sport Attacks. I finally changed them out this past week after 4,900 miles. While that may seem shockingly low to some of you, it's important to note that 60% of my riding is done in the canyons - where I ride... Aggressively! Scraping footpegs on a regular basis became "normal" for me on this set of tires. It's also important to note that I'm a very heavy guy (310lbs geared up), so I'm sure this also factors substantially into the tires (shorter) lifespan. I would estimate that these tires gave me 90-95% of their original traction up until about 4,000 miles, with the final 900 miles giving me about 80-85% of their original traction. I was completely satisfied with this purchase, and would not hesitate to recommend these tires to any KatRider!

For the sake of comparison, I've just installed Conti Road Attacks. I haven't finished breaking them in yet, but my initial impression is that they steer much more neutrally, and don't exhibit the same "tippiness" I felt and learned to love with the Sport Attacks. They seem to require a bit more steering effort, which leads me to believe the tread profile must be different. I'll try to update more after I finish breaking them in and head up to the canyons! We'll see how much more mileage I get from the Road Attacks - stay tuned!
              Cheers!

Comment

I just wanted to post a follow-up on my previous posts about my INCREDIBLE Conti Sport Attacks. I finally changed them out this past week after 4,900 miles. While that may seem shockingly low to some of you, it's important to note that 60% of my riding is done in the canyons - where I ride... Aggressively!
                I was just thinking 4,900 sounds pretty high. go figure.

A good friend of mine had sport attacks on his FZ1 and burned through them (both of them) in around 2500-3000 miles or so (no burnouts or schenanigans, just highway to the canyons and then hard in the canyons). They're pretty soft. I guess a higher HP bike will chew them up faster though.

My Road attacks lasted about 8,000 miles on my CBR1100XX blackbird. They were pretty much shot when I sold the bike. On a 600 kat, I would imagine those road attacks will last a while longer.

Comment

I just wanted to post a little follow-up. Up until this past weekend, I've only scraped my footpegs a handful of times in the course of 3 years of riding. But this past weekend in the canyons, I was scraping them AT WILL! I absolutely cannot believe the level of confidence these tires have instilled in my riding.
                  Get your butt off the seat and you'll be dragging a knee no problem.
                  R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

I read a report in a motorcycle mag a couple of years ago that specifically addressed new tires making the bike feel slower. A motorcycle was dyno'd with an old set that needed to be changed and then again after a new set was installed. The hp was reduced and the Dyno shop said this was normal because a new tire will always have more weight and that extra will make the bike feel slower. As the rubber wears back down the power on the low end will come back.

Comment

i have a Road Attack on the front of my R6 and i love it, i love the tread design and the wear of it. I've also gone way too fast on the highway in the rain scaring myself ****less, but the rain seemed to have no affect on it. I plan on putting either a Sport attack or Road Attack on the rear for spring. I'm leaning more towards the Sport Attack, any opinions?
                      GREAT WRITEUP TONIC! very useful info, being i'm about 285
                      I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

He was so full of knowlege it's astounding
                      Reading the news, my heart was pounding.
                      My prayers go out to his family & friends.
                      He is the best there was and ever been.
                      RIP Marc "Cyberpoet" Glasgow

Comment

Working...
                      X