X

how often do you lube your chain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how often do you lube your chain

so my first bike i almost never lubed my chain. but i want to keep my kat in good shape. the guy i bought my bike from said he lubed the chain every time he went out and you can tell it looks like **** and so does the swing arm and the rim from where all the lube has ended up over the years. my question is how often should i lube the chain and should i start by taking off all that gunked up lube thats built up on there for starters. any help would be awesome. thanks again guys.

I clean mine and lube it twice a season with brake clean and permetex chain lube.
    "The country i am hearing now a days is a bunch of F***ing S*** to me" Hank Williams lll

Comment

Every 600 miles at least. I check it before I ever turn the key, if it looks at all dry you lube it up.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I luby my chain at least weekly.
        If the chain has gunk all over it pick up a chain cleaning brush and give it a good scrub down, then re-lube it. To get gunk off I use Simple Green cheaner. Spray it on and hit it with the chain brush.

Comment

should i clean off the chain for starters? and if so what would be safe to use to get all that old stuff off?

***edit*** thank you ally kat ^^^

Comment

simple green or kerosene
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

What if you use a dry lube... It goes on wet and then dries so no fling?? I lube mine every other week..
              2001 Kawasaki zx1100

2000 Kat 750, in 600 Yellow. (GONE but not forgotten)

Bike pics link: http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp310/smitty600/

Comment

If you just reapply lube without cleaning your chain first, your trapping dirt under the oil, and that is not the object.

You should always scrub/clean your chain fairly well before you relube your chain. Stay away from pentrating oils like wd-40 to clean with. They will damn the o-ring's on your chain. If you stay on top of your chain, most of the gunk can be cleaned with a rag and toothbrush. If it's really build up, kerosene works well. Bsic rule is you can't lube your chain too much, but failure to clean it can hurt the life of your chain.

Depening on how much you ride, I would lube every 500 miles, or every month, more often if you ride in the rain or on dirt roads. It doesn't take long for dirt/grit to build up. It doesn't take long to do, 20-30 minutes, and helps the longetivity.

Make sure your chain is warmed up before you apply your chain lube, let it set, then whipe off the rest to help keep it from going everywhere.

Comment

I've been using this for a long while now

It cleans AND lubes.

About every tank of gas, after a ride, I'll take a rag hold it around the chain, on the lower run, spray the Dupont on, move the bike, lube the next stretch etc.

It's worked great for almost 10K miles and my chain sprockets look new....

Comment

I stick to the schedule in the manual (clean and lube every 600 miles) unless I was riding in the rain. I will wipe down and lube the chain after riding in the rain so it does not sit around wet. To clean the chain I use a Moose chain scrubber and Moose Grunge Away. If needed I will go over it a little more with a small nylon brush that I picked up at Walmart.

Comment

Every 300 miles or once a week.

Comment

I lube it every second day, and properly degrease and relube every weekend. I have OCD.

Comment

Originally posted by Robgsxf750 View Post
                          I lube it every second day, and properly degrease and relube every weekend. I have OCD.

i'm sure it loves you for it too
                          "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
                            I've been using this for a long while now

It cleans AND lubes.

About every tank of gas, after a ride, I'll take a rag hold it around the chain, on the lower run, spray the Dupont on, move the bike, lube the next stretch etc.

It's worked great for almost 10K miles and my chain sprockets look new....
                            I like that stuff , too . But I like to clean it with K1 every few lubings to be sure it's clean . Mine still looks good after a few years , but I think it's about time for a new chain anyway ..... Oh yeah , and old socks make GREAT chain cleaners . Just slip it over you hand like a mitten ,and have at it .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I clean and lube my chain every 300-400 miles and after every time the chain gets wet
                              2007 Honda CBR600rr
                              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X