Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

chain is noisy... any ideas wat it could be?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain is noisy... any ideas wat it could be?

hey guys, im new to the forum. i have a 2003 katana 750 and it makes a weird sound like a grinding or clumping when i start rolling in first after that it disappears any ideas on what it maight be?

Your chain is too loose. Tighten it up.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

+1

it could also be that your rear wheel is misaligned, causing the teeth on the sprocket to rub incorrectly against the chain.
      -Marty (Red)

sigpic

BANGERANG RUFIO!

Comment

It could be your chain due to be replaced.

Put the bike on the center stand and slowly spin the back wheel in neutral (bike off) Check for kinks or stiff links.

Any idea how old your chain is?
        Kyle

Comment

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I had a chain that threw a couple rollers. I could only hear the noise when I was going pretty slow. Put it on the centerstand, spin the wheel, and carefully look at each link to see if there is one with a smaller diameter than the rest. My $0.02.
            -2000 "750"

Comment

Have you tried lubing it?
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Check the condition of your sprockets at the same time, you may need new ones along with a chain.
                R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
                  I had a chain that threw a couple rollers. I could only hear the noise when I was going pretty slow. Put it on the centerstand, spin the wheel, and carefully look at each link to see if there is one with a smaller diameter than the rest. My $0.02.
                  How did you not notice THAT when you clean/lubed the chain ?
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                    How did you not notice THAT when you clean/lubed the chain ?
                    This happened only a few weeks after buying the bike. It was my first chain bike and I didn't ask for before deciding it was ok to use a steel brush to get it really clean . Well, I know now and you know that will the O-rings. After doing that I went for a ~250mile ride, and when I started getting close to home I thought I noticed the sound. The next time I lubed the chain I noticed the red dust all over the chain and then read up and figured out what the red dust was from . During that lube session () I also noticed that there were two rollers missing. Fortunately it was at ~18,000 miles so it wasn't like I messed up a new chain.
                    -2000 "750"

Comment

Working...
                    X