X

Mismatched Sidewall heights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mismatched Sidewall heights?

Hello KR, I own a 97 kat 600, and i've been lurking for a couple months including today while I searched for tire info for my upcoming purchase. I was going to buy a set of Conti Road Attacks from this link I found earlier http://www.ridedirect.com/showProduc...1097&cat_id=42

I added the 120/70/17 to the cart and then I realized that they don't have a 150/70/17. Can I use the 150/60/17 with the front size I listed, or should I match the heights? 120/60/17 & 150/60/17? Would the difference cause any adverse side effects? Thanks for your help in advance KR!

Stock sizes were not the same, and I've never had an issue mixing that up. As long as the tire fits the rim correctly, you will be fine.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Get this setup, its what I have on my bike.

120/70/17 and 160/60/17 Trust me.

And you dont actually have to match the middle number. Its actually a ratio. The first number is the size around. the second is the sidewall which is a ratio of that round length, and the last is the rim size or 17 inches.

I also suggest getting the sport attacks if your a more aggressive rider. They wear a tiny bit faster than the road attacks (not much), but grip like CRAZY.
      Last edited by IndyGunner; 04-20-2009, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
        Get this setup, its what I have on my bike.

120/70/17 and 160/60/17 Trust me.

And you dont actually have to match the middle number. Its actually a ratio. The first number is the size around. the second is the sidewall which is a ratio of that round length, and the last is the rim size or 17 inches.

I also suggest getting the sport attacks if your a more aggressive rider. They wear a tiny bit faster than the road attacks (not much), but grip like CRAZY.
        good post Beaner Except with the size recommendations. You have a 97, thats a 3.5" rear rim. He has a 98+ that's 4.5" rear rim. DO NOT put a 160 on there, go with a 150.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          good post Beaner
          I learn from the best man

Comment

the conti road attacks are great. I've put about 500 miles on them so far and love them. I got them from MOpowersports.com at a good price and fast shipping.
            Let's go riding!

Comment

I learn from the best man
              well, reread my post and learn a little more

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                well, reread my post and learn a little more
                Sorry chris, but im still right continental tires are one of the few brands that will fit a 160 on a pre rim safely. There are a few members on here who can prove that.
                Last edited by IndyGunner; 04-20-2009, 11:31 PM.

Comment

I just bought set of road attacks from ride direct last week. I bought the 120/70/17 and the 150/70/17. I just checked again and they still have them. Took about 5 days from order to delivery to my door.

http://www.ridedirect.com/showProduct.php?id=440&cat_id=42
                  Semper Fi
                  1 Mar Div 3rd LAR BN (01-05)

Comment

congrats, make sure you break em in good and keep them to proper PSI, they are AMAZING tires but get moody if they aren't just right ENJOY!

Comment

Thanks

Wow this forum moves fast, Thanks for all the responses, I will be making a purchase tomorrow. As soon as I get them I'll update. I'm not too aggresive of a rider but I've already ridden the twisties 3x more than I have commuted on the bike. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Sorry chris, but im still right continental tires are one of the few brands that will fit a 160 on a pre rim safely. There are a few members on here who can prove that.
                        so then, and im sure this has been covered a million times... whats the widest you can go on a post 600? i got a 160/60 right now but it looks like a 170 would fit?
                        Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukii600 View Post
                          so then, and im sure this has been covered a million times... whats the widest you can go on a post 600? i got a 160/60 right now but it looks like a 170 would fit?
                          Yes it has, but I have no problem helping you out.

A pre AND post katana can fit a 160/60/17 rear IF they are continental tires. Im not sure about other brands but if you get a different company then only a 150/70/17 will fit on a pre98. a 160/60/17 fits on all 98+

I dont believe a 170 fits, you would need to upgrade to gsxr rims.

Comment

figured that would be the case, just wanted to ask
                            Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

no problem

Comment

Working...
                              X