X

Front tire removal.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front tire removal.

I am getting ready to put a new tire on the front. Looks pretty straight forward. Ive done it on previous bikes with no issues. But I noticed in the manual it says to remove the brake calipers first. Is this really needed???

From what I can see, once I remove the axle, the wheel should just drop down and then I would remove the speedo hub. Am I correct? Or is there a certain reason the calipers need to be removed on the Kat???

FYI its a 89 750.

Not sure.....but I like your bike
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Thanks, its been through hell and back.........

Comment

cant remember if my tire got in the way........
        Never be afraid of DIY. Remember, amateurs built the ark, and professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

even if it doesnt have to be off to take the wheel off it will make putting the wheel back on easier
          probably easier to unbolt caliper with wheel in place also
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I have to remove the calipers on my 93 to get the wheel off.

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
              I have to remove the calipers on my 93 to get the wheel off.
              Why is that? are you taking the wheel out a certain way? I have a lift for my bike and the front wheel will drop straight down. Thats why I cant understand how the caliper removal comes into play.

Thanks for the quick replies guys

Comment

My calipers hit against the wheel when I dropped the wheel down. I tried different angles but still had to remove the calipers. I thought I was stupid.

Comment

Ahhhh, I think I get it now..........the walls of the tires are out wider than the calipers......am I right? I never even thought to look at that

Comment

Originally posted by notec View Post
                    Ahhhh, I think I get it now..........the walls of the tires are out wider than the calipers......am I right? I never even thought to look at that

bet thats it
                    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by notec View Post
                      Exactly.

Comment

Well, looks like ill be checking the torque specs on the caliper bolts.....lol

Thanks for clearing it up for me guys!!!

Comment

Well I finally got around to taking the front tire off........what a pain in the ***. Even after I unbolted the calipers I had to almost pry them off. The space between the disc and the inner lip of the rim is smaller than the caliper. The only other way would be to remove the disc as well. But its off now and the new skin will be on it tomorrow. It will be nice to have matching tires again.

Anyone know the torque specs of the axle nut??? Im looking through the service manual and cant find the specs for the front.

Actually, I found it.....thanks for looking
                          Last edited by notec; 05-19-2009, 07:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

A bit late, but...

It's not hard to get them off if you open the master and compress the calipers a little first. That allows you more room to just tilt them out and remove them with little issue.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Where were you 3 hours ago....lol. Thanks for the tip, that will help when I put it back on.

Comment

Working...
                              X