X

Metzeler M3 / Shinko Raven Reveiw

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metzeler M3 / Shinko Raven Reveiw

Stock front 120/70/17 and 160/60/17 rear were used in both brands.

I bought my 06 600 on March 31, 2007 with 3001 miles on it. The stock Michelins were worn so I replaced them soon after with a set of Metzeler M3's I later replaced the rear with another M3 and got around 13,000 miles out of the front. So roughly 6500 miles each for the rear tires. I generally get my moneys worth from a set of tires and don't replace them until the steel belts show a little. I know that's not ideal (stupid) but I ride all of the time and can't stand to be without my bike for even a short time. I also need the bike for transportation in general.

I replaced the front and rear with Shinko Ravens Tuesday. I like how sticky the M3's are but they wear faster than I'd like. After getting the wheels on and chain adjusted I went for a short ride (10 miles roundtrip) to buy a drink and see how the tires ride. The bike was more responsive like always with new tires. The front had been showing steel on both sides of the centerline 360* around. I went through the first couple gears pretty easy and opened it up in 3rd...the rear tire spun, then caught and chirped a little. This was a surprise to me. I thought "wow" I didn't think the Kat could do that. I know that tires have to be broken in before you ride aggressively, but never understood that when using the M3's because from Day 1 they were sticky. I stop at the store and talk to my neighbor who happens to stop there also and head back home. The tires never really warmed up and it was in the 50's outside when I head back home. I turn off of the main road onto the road I live off of at about 15mph and the rear "steps out again". I stop on a side road near my house and do a quick 10 second burnout to rough up the rear tire(easy with these tires) and ride home.
    I rode to work today about 15 miles and can tell that the Raven uses a much harder compound and doesn't absorb bumps from uneven pavement as well. I also tried several quick stops from 20mph or so and the rear brake would lock a good bit sooner than with M3's. I will update as the Ravens are broken in.

Initial thoughts - the M3's are great and ride good but wear a little quicker. The Ravens are definely harder and designed for more mileage but don't have the initial bite. Caution should be used during break in period. The front and rear was replaced as a set when changing brands/compounds. The M3 that was removed was kept as 1/2 of the tread remained. Note: M3 pricing $116, then $134.99, and currently $150.99.

Purchased 8/25/07 from Ridenow.com

Sportec M-3 120/70ZR-17 Front 1 $98.00
    Sportec M-3 160/60ZR-17 Rear 1 $116.00
    SubTotal: $214.00
    Tax: $0.00
    Shipping: $19.90
    -------------------
    Total: $233.90

Purchased 7/7/08 from Motorcyclesuperstore

Sportec M-3 160/60ZR-17 Rear 1 $134.99
    SubTotal: $134.99
    Shipping: $0.00
    -------------------
    Total: $134.99

Purchased 3/25/09 from Motorcyclesuperstore

Shinko Raven 120/70ZR-17 Front 1 $68.99
    Shinko Raven 160/60ZR-17 Rear 1 $91.99
    SubTotal: $160.98
    Shipping: $0.00
    -------------------
    Total: $160.98

Pricing

--Current through Ridenow.com

Metzeler $392.90 (outrageous price)
    Shinko $233.90
    ------------------
    Difference $159.00 (Enough for another set of Shinkos)

--Current through Motorcyclesuperstore (free shipping on orders over $100)

Metzeler $275.98
    Shinko $160.98
    -------------------
    Difference $115.00 (Almost enough for another set of Shinkos.)

--Current through Dennis Kirk

Metzeler $276.98
    Shinko unavailable

Conclusion...buy your tires at Motorcyclesuperstore.

Stay tuned.
    Last edited by jday240; 04-10-2009, 02:49 AM. Reason: Update

Nice review, look forward to checking back for updates.
    Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

I'm also running Shinko's, but the 005 (Advance) set. I've never had the rear step out on me like you describe with the 009's. I find mine very stable wet or dry, and they handle excellent. I did a track day last fall and had complete confidence in them. They do list the 009 (Raven) as more of a long-life sport touring tire though, and label the 005 as an 'intermediate compound'. I'd like to see what you have to say in a couple thousand miles. I imagine you will be satisfied with them well for everyday street use. I'm more than impressed with mine.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

i have about 600 miles on my 009 raven rear. the only time i ever had a issue with mine was on the brick roads on the main drag of my small town. but then every tire i have ever ran on these bricks slip easy. my last tire was toast in 2,400 miles(qualifier) the superhawk just eats tires especially rears. i just couldnt make myself buy a new rear tire every oil change.so i started looking and found positive reveiws from a few bandit 1200-1250 owners stating 8,000 miles plus on the rear. judging chicken strips they looked like they grip just fine. so i figure with the hp-torgue big bandits laydown it aught to be relative. after the first 600 miles all i have lost on this tire is the outer coat. now the tire does turn in a little slower than im used to and once you get to a certain lean angle it seems like it falls in alittle instead of gradually laying down.but nothing as bad as the squared off tires i generally end up riding due to commuting. but for less than 100 bucks invested im very satisfied. if these tires end up lasting 7,000 miles on the rear ill be hooked. for no harder than i usually push myself i cant see needing a stickier tire. these ravens seem to do the job i cant say they are the greatest but they are very nice. my 2 cents

Comment

i just ordered the 009 raven front and rear tires for my bike Just got my bike and the swinger was out of alignment so I chewed up the tire and need a new chain. Got the bike for 2400 came with tank cover, yoshi exhaust, suzuki riding jacket, helmet and gloves. Need a new helmet don't really like this one but it came with the bike so can't complain to much.

Comment

good to know.

Comment

I am looking at getting a set of Shinko's to replace my squared off Michelin Pilot roads. Commuting has taken a toll on these right down the middle. Edges look to be a few months old. I hate I can't hit the twisties more...oh well
              Warning!! Will ride at anytime for no reason.

Comment

Much needed update coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by jday240 View Post
                  Much needed update coming soon.

post an update. I am currently running the Ravens, and would like to know what YOU got out of your set as far as milage goes!
                  I like mine so far...about 800 miles on them
                  R.I.P. CYBERPOET

***WE WILL RIDE TOGETHER AGAIN ONE DAY***

Comment

I just ordered a raven (170/60 17) for the rear of my bike. The Qualifier that it came with is showing fuzz in the middle. The front is still usable but is cupping on the outer edges. I will have to get a front soon enough. Only getting the rear cause I HAVE too.

The shops around here are charging $40 to mount/balance a tire! Is that good? Or am I getting skrewed? I am in the automotive field and we only charge $10-$15 a tire. I know you do have to take more off with a bike though.
                    My rides:
                    2000 Katana 600 (Red) 13,400k milesWith a 2005 6000 mile motor!

Comment

$40 is actually quite reasonable if they are taking the wheel off...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Update: I've put between 3-4K on the Ravens since getting my bike back together and I am very pleased with the wear and ride. They grip as well as I need and ride pretty well also. I have rode in pouring rain the last few days and they handle wet roads very well. They show almost no wear at this point unlike the Metzeler's which would be 1/2 worn out by this point. You will not be disapointed if you buy Shinko tires. I will definitely replace the current set with another set of Shinko tires when these wear out in 5-7k more miles.

Comment

i would be careful with shinkos tho... their a great tire for all around riding, and have a great tread life... but if you get REALLY into it... they tend to lose grip, and can cause a lowside... personal experience... and not just on one occasion... i've had them let out on me a couple times in a hard turn... only one of them i couldnt recover from... just my $.02

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
                          "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

I'll keep that in mind...but I ride pretty safe overall. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jday240 View Post
                              I'll keep that in mind...but I ride pretty safe overall. Thanks.
                              their a great everyday tire... just not so good if hit some twisties really hard

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
                              "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

Working...
                              X