Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

96 katana i screwed up my tire order and need some advice????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 katana i screwed up my tire order and need some advice????

just got a set of tires for my 96 kat and realized that i screwed up on the order form. (stupid me) but either way i got the rite size for the rear (140-80-17) but for the front i got a (100-80-17) its supposed to be a (110-80-17) i dont mind having a slightly thinner tire on the front after all it was my screwup i just nee to know will this still mount up and ride fine?

I know you can go a step bigger front and back and still drag knee (on a pre), not sure about thinner though.
    Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

yea i just talked to a friend of the familys thats got an older gs and he said it should work fine just corner faster so im gonna give it a try. nbut if anyone else has anything to say about that please speak your mind they wont be going on till wed. or thur. and ill be checking back a few times a day. thanks for any help thats given in advance

Comment

80 is pretty tall, that thing is gonna fall into the corners really quickly. Should work fine though.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

110-80 is whats on it now but there dry rotted and ive still been riding im just scared of a blow out and lookin forward to a good ride this weekend and general input is that they will work but cornering is gonna change which is fine for me so ill post the difference when i get to take it for a ride on the new tires...

Comment

Should of asked first! One of the first upgrade to the pre 98 kat is to go to a 120/70/17 & 150/70/17. THIS SEEMS TO RAISE THE BIKE TO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL. oops(cap lock).

Comment

Sell it on Ebay, buy the right one.

Comment

Um , why not contact them & see about changing the order . If it ain't already shipped , it ain't too late ....
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Is that 140-80-17 a bias ply tire, or a radial? If it's a bias ply tire.... I would change the order to a radial size.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

its a radial and i cant offord different tires and i realized my errors when they arived. so im gonna see what happens if i can afford to mount them anytime soon places around here want 150-200 to mount them

Comment

You may wanna check the weight rating on the front tire that you got. I have a feeling that it isn't as high as you might like. If it was me I would call them about it, you may just be out the shipping. Beats the heck out of possibly having an unsafe tire(if it isn't rated high enough for you and the bike). Jmho
                      sigpic
                      1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

And if you're TRULY hard-up for cash , mounting tires yourself ain't impossible if you know some stuff . Lemme know if you wish to explore this option , and I'll drop some knowledge ....
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by jester46357 View Post
                          so im gonna see what happens if i can afford to mount them anytime soon places around here want 150-200 to mount them
                          NFW!!!

I'll have to remember to sucker someone over next time I have a tire change to do, and get them to take pics. The process is fairly easy on Kat sized wheels, it is just knowing a few tricks that makes it easier, and maybe $30 worth of tools.
                          Pics
                          Pics
                          No pics yet
                          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by jester46357 View Post
                            its a radial and i cant offord different tires and i realized my errors when they arived. so im gonna see what happens if i can afford to mount them anytime soon places around here want 150-200 to mount them

That is just insane to me. I found a few local places that will do it for aproximately $20 per tire if you take the rims off, and that isn't hard at all.

Going all out on buying your own tools to do it, and I mean all out at Harbor Freight's website..... ( you don't have to have most of this at all...)

Tire Changer base - 49.99
                            Motorcycle Tire attatchment - 59.99
                            Bead breaker - 39.99
                            Tire Installing Tool for aluminum rims - 19.99
                            Motorcycle Wheel balancing stand - 59.99

= grand total of 229.86 + tax, buying every tool I could think of that you might remotely want while mounting a motorcycle tire. Then, it will never cost you anything to mount them again going forward.

If you know other people that ride, offer to mount theirs for $25 a pop... pay for your tools real quick!

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                              Tire Changer base - 49.99
                              Motorcycle Tire attatchment - 59.99
                              Bead breaker - 39.99
                              Tire Installing Tool for aluminum rims - 19.99
                              Motorcycle Wheel balancing stand - 59.99
                              IMHO, you need none of that. To do it on the cheap, you need:
                              two 2x4x8 @ <$5 ea
                              3 tire levers @ ~$7 ea, (you can spend more if you like, bigger does tend to be better.)
                              empty shampoo bottle or oil bottle @ $0

That will get the tires dismounted and mounted. To get them balanced, you can get them pretty close between a pair of jackstands using the wheels own bearings. I built my own rig out of some scrap metal and some rollerblade bearings I had sitting around, and it works better, but the difference is not huge. The other balancing option is to go with a product like Dynabeads, but that involves a little more money.
                              Pics
                              Pics
                              No pics yet
                              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Working...
                              X