X

Post 98 Wheel size

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post 98 Wheel size

I have to replace the rims on my 2000 Katana 600. I know '04+ will not work, but how do I tell the difference between them? I already have the replacement I got off ebay and compared the markings but could not find much difference, only a "made in Japan" on the repacements. Any help would be much appreciated.

--Jarrett
    Last edited by jedney; 04-01-2009, 06:02 PM.
    Think safe, ride safe.

The width of the hub is greater on the 04 and up. I thought that was even true in 03.

Comment

the ID of the bearing on 03-06 is 17mm, the ID on 98-02 is 15mm.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        the ID of the bearing on 03-06 is 17mm, the ID on 98-02 is 15mm.
        Yuck, any reason for the difference? Seems an odd thing to change, taillight and wheel bearings?
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

uummm... cause the forks and the axle are different

Comment

Just FYI, the rears are the same, it's only the front you need worry about, as arsenic was saying with the fork differences.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
            You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

uummm... cause the forks and the axle are different
              Thanks. I meant why would they change forks and axle in the middle of the bike's life? Did they make some kind of improvements?
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

not really. In 03 Suzuki knew the Katana was gonna be discontinued, so they used a bunch of chit from other bikes. Like the flat rotors on 03-06 Katana's, yeah those are GSXR rotors.

Comment

not really. In 03 Suzuki knew the Katana was gonna be discontinued, so they used a bunch of chit from other bikes.
                  How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                  How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                  How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                  How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Ok thank you all for your answers... I guess I will need to find another front rim Anyone need a set of 03, 04 rims $230 shipped lol.
                    Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

I have heard that the wheel from a sv650 will fit also. What year(s) (or part numbers) would fit? Is it identical to the Kat's wheels?
                      Last edited by jedney; 04-06-2009, 08:29 AM.
                      Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

Originally posted by jedney View Post
                        I have heard that the wheel from a sv650 will fit also. What year(s) (or part numbers) would fit? Is it identical to the Kat's wheels?
                        Yes, same break.
                        Pics
                        Pics
                        No pics yet
                        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Thanks for all of your help. I have solved my problem. I no longer have a warped wheel!
                          Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

Originally posted by jedney View Post
                            Thanks for all of your help. I have solved my problem. I no longer have a warped wheel!
                            Do tell.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXfs600 View Post
                              Do tell.

Lol. I replaced it. I wish I knew how to bend it back, but I just replaced it. I think i got a pretty good deal too... $230 shipped for a front and rear wheel complete with bearings, sprocket, and rotors. I think the bearings are bad on the front, but other than that its working out great so far.
                              Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X