Need help & don't know where to look.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steves
    replied
    The Battlax is a crappy tire. I didn't realize how crappy it was until I rode on a Z6. To me decent tires and brakes are a better investment than almost ANYTHING else on the machine.

Leave a comment:

• scottynoface
    replied
    If you buy bias ply tires, I will come up there and poop in your chimney. Shinko radials > Bridgestone bias ply

Leave a comment:

• Konn750
    replied
    What do people think of these tires:

Continental Force-Sport Touring Radial

Leave a comment:

• HexKrak
    replied
    I got my last 2 tires from www.solomotoparts.com. Metzler Z6 road techs are all I run they seem to last forever, although I'd run conti road attacks as well.

120/70zr-17 front
    150/70zr-17 rear

Leave a comment:

• teddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Konn750 View Post
    I have a 1993 Katana 750. I was thinking if I could go with 120/70.

I don't know much about tires for bikes, but I can say 100% that this bike will not see any track. Unless I'm in a rush and need to make a like. This bike will cruise. Plus, I put only 3,000 mile in one riding year (April thru November). Let me know if I should go with Shinko 006. Thankx.
    you can do the 120/70 no problem. I don't have any input for you on the 006 line, but I really like my 005's. My riding season is about the same as yours as I'm in northern OH, and I mostly cruise with the occasional high-spirited weekend ride. The decision is ultimately yours as to what tire you want on your bike. For some, peace of mind from a 'brand name' is all it takes. I bought them because they were cheap and figured if they were really that bad I'd just pony up and buy the Pilot Powers I was originally looking at anyway. I'll probably buy another set of these when I need tires again.

Leave a comment:

• Konn750
    replied
    Originally posted by beherenow71 View Post
    What bike do you have?

I found this link from another thread:

Not trying to be annoying and disagree with all your choices but if you can, get radial tires rather than bias ply. There are many other threads that explain why. I think you should be able to use a 120/70 on the front, I know its hard to find a 110/80 in radial because most manufacturers don't make them anymore.

I have a 1993 Katana 750. I was thinking if I could go with 120/70.

Originally posted by teddy View Post
    I run Shinko 005 Advance radials. Over 4k on them, plus a track day.
    Not real sure why everyone thinks they aren't a good tire...probably because they haven't used them I suppose....
    I don't know much about tires for bikes, but I can say 100% that this bike will not see any track. Unless I'm in a rush and need to make a like. This bike will cruise. Plus, I put only 3,000 mile in one riding year (April thru November). Let me know if I should go with Shinko 006. Thankx.
    Last edited by Konn750; 04-03-2009, 03:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Leave a comment:

• teddy
    replied
    I run Shinko 005 Advance radials. Over 4k on them, plus a track day.
    Not real sure why everyone thinks they aren't a good tire...probably because they haven't used them I suppose....

Leave a comment:

• beherenow71
    replied
    What bike do you have?

I found this link from another thread:

Not trying to be annoying and disagree with all your choices but if you can, get radial tires rather than bias ply. There are many other threads that explain why. I think you should be able to use a 120/70 on the front, I know its hard to find a 110/80 in radial because most manufacturers don't make them anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Konn750
    replied
    UPDATE **** 4/3/2009

I took other person's advice and didn't go with Shinko tires, though the price is good and the driving I will do is in a way of stop and go. But safety first. You live once. Anyway, here is my next chose of tires:

Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 (V-Rated)

Front: 110/80 - 17 Front = $94.95
    Rear: 150/70 - 17 Rear = $114.95

Let me know what you guys think. If these are good and the price is right, then I will place an order right now.

Also, I will order a RK Chain and Sprocket kit from a bike shop they are charging $170 for it and i will have them do all the work to the bike. Though I can do everything my self. I'd rather have them look the bike over. It wasn't running right during late fall and early winter.

Leave a comment:

• Trackerrrr
    replied
    Shinkos are what you put on a bike when you sell it. Get the good tires, they are all you got between you and pavement.

Leave a comment:

• beherenow71
    replied
    I think you will find most people on here would not recommend Shinko. I've never used them so don't know first hand. Just remember, there are 2 things touching the ground and keeping you from wrecking. Not sure those 2 things are where you really want to skimp to save a buck.

Leave a comment:

• Konn750
    replied
    Thank you all who responded.

I found a set at BikeBandit.com and these are the tires I found:

Shinko 006 Podium Radial Motorcycle Tire

Front: 110/70-17 (V Rated) = $59.99 "OR" 120/60-17 (W Rated) = $62.99

Rear: 150/60-17 (V Rated) = $82.99

Here is my question:
    • How good is this company? It got a 4.5 out of 5 rating on the site.
    • Can I go with 120 in front?
    • Should I be consistent and use 60 ride height on both or have 70 upfront and 60 in the back?

Keep in mind that I use this bike to go to and from work 5 days a week, 30 minutes each way. This bike is street driven with little highway use. I don't go very fast, and stay no higher than 70 MPH. The only thing I might do is got to Pocono's one or two times, which will be my first time. So please let me know what you think. I like the price and the shipping is $17.85 fixed to anywhere in US. Just got off the phone with Dave and if I order it tomorrow, than I can have them Thursday or Friday of this week.

Thank you all, again.

Leave a comment:

• thetable
    replied
    Strada will last longer, but sacrifice a little grip (Not an issue with how most Kats are ridden.) And 120/70-17.

Leave a comment:

• sav
    replied
    Hey quick question, Im gettin tires today as well, which are better for the kat. The diablos or diablo stradas. Know it shouldnt make much difference as they're both pirellis and both good tires. Just didnt know if one is better than the other for our application. Bout a $20 difference in price for me, so thats why I ask? Thanks.

also is it better to stick to the 120/70 in front or 120/60, considering i'm getting a 60 on the rear. I was goin to lower the front end a tad, and was told just switching the tire would help
    Last edited by sav; 03-27-2009, 11:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Leave a comment:

• thetable
    replied
    Originally posted by Konn750 View Post
    Who is Jimmy? How do I reach him?
    See here: http://katriders.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=207

Leave a comment:

Working...
X