Need help & don't know where to look.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help & don't know where to look.

UPDATE **** 4/3/2009

I took other person's advice and didn't go with Shinko tires, though the price is good and the driving I will do is in a way of stop and go. But safety first. You live once. Anyway, here is my next chose of tires:

Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 (V-Rated)

Front: 110/80 - 17 Front = $94.95
    Rear: 150/70 - 17 Rear = $114.95

Let me know what you guys think. If these are good and the price is right, then I will place an order right now.

Also, I will order a RK Chain and Sprocket kit from a bike shop they are charging $170 for it and i will have them do all the work to the bike. Though I can do everything my self. I'd rather have them look the bike over. It wasn't running right during late fall and early winter.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

The temperatures are going up slowly here in NYC and I just got a new plastic card. I'm in need of new tires and looking for stock chain and sprocket kits. Does anyone know where I can get new but cheap chain and sprocket kits? Does anyone know of a good site for tires? My friend told me to go to eBay and I found Tire Express with free shipping. I'm not a big fan of eBay and don't want to pay $300 to $500 for tires. I need tire for everyday driving (to and from work and some highway).

Thank You All.
    Last edited by Konn750; 04-03-2009, 06:31 AM.

Try bikebandit or Denniskirk, I like motomummy too, not sure what they may have a for a kat though. Just remember, if you plan to have a shop change the tires, most will not do it unless you buy the tire from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Konn750 View Post
      The temperatures are going up slowly here in NYC and I just got a new plastic card. I'm in need of new tires and looking for stock chain and sprocket kits. Does anyone know where I can get new but cheap chain and sprocket kits? Does anyone know of a good site for tires? My friend told me to go to eBay and I found Tire Express with free shipping. I'm not a big fan of eBay and don't want to pay $300 to $500 for tires. I need tire for everyday driving (to and from work and some highway).

Thank You All.
      First thing you'll need to figure out is where you will be getting tires mounted. Not sure what the going rate is in the city, but you will find many shops that either will not mount tires from outside, or will charge double the normal M/B charges. As to ordering tires, I have ordered from both http://www.americanmototire.com and http://www.swmototires.com/ Prices are pretty similar, and if AMT is doing free shipping I will go with them. SW doesn't charge shipping on 2 or more tires, and they are drop shipped from the distributor.

Chain and sprocket set, RK/Vortex makes one, I think the last time I ordered one it was from Bike Bandit.
      Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

someofallparts.com (on ebay as well) has probably the best prices on chain and sprocket kits. $160 shipped I believe.

Tires for your use I would suggest Continental tires. You can get a set for around $200 - 225 shipped from places like http://www.ridedirect.com and they are real good tires. If your not going to be doing hard twisties riding, I would suggest the conti-force sport touring tires. They still hold the curves very well, but will last a little longer for the daily transite rides.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I completely forgot our own HS2020, good guy to buy from if he offers what you are looking for. I don't know how that happened. http://www.mopowersports.com/

And it looks like he is giving free shipping with coupon code "Katriders"
          Pics
          Pics
          No pics yet
          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            someofallparts.com (on ebay as well) has probably the best prices on chain and sprocket kits. $160 shipped I believe.

Tires for your use I would suggest Continental tires. You can get a set for around $200 - 225 shipped from places like http://www.ridedirect.com and they are real good tires. If your not going to be doing hard twisties riding, I would suggest the conti-force sport touring tires. They still hold the curves very well, but will last a little longer for the daily transite rides.

Krey

The "someofallparts.com is not working. It takes me to some myspace page.

Comment

The "someofallparts.com is not working. It takes me to some myspace page.
              My bad.. it's .net.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                I completely forgot our own HS2020, good guy to buy from if he offers what you are looking for. I don't know how that happened. http://www.mopowersports.com/

And it looks like he is giving free shipping with coupon code "Katriders"
                DUDE! Seriously, check with Jimmy! Supporting KR vendor!
                THE DOC
                RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                mistake when you make it again.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DOCTORNITRO View Post
                  DUDE! Seriously, check with Jimmy! Supporting KR vendor!
                  Who is Jimmy? How do I reach him?

Comment

mopowersports.com

His screen name on here is hs2020

Comment

Who is Jimmy? How do I reach him?
                      See here: http://katriders.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=207
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet

Comment

Hey quick question, Im gettin tires today as well, which are better for the kat. The diablos or diablo stradas. Know it shouldnt make much difference as they're both pirellis and both good tires. Just didnt know if one is better than the other for our application. Bout a $20 difference in price for me, so thats why I ask? Thanks.

also is it better to stick to the 120/70 in front or 120/60, considering i'm getting a 60 on the rear. I was goin to lower the front end a tad, and was told just switching the tire would help
                        Last edited by sav; 03-27-2009, 11:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        SAV

Head up, eyes open... always!!!
                        Be... and be not afraid.

Comment

Strada will last longer, but sacrifice a little grip (Not an issue with how most Kats are ridden.) And 120/70-17.
                          Pics
                          Pics
                          No pics yet

Comment

Thank you all who responded.

I found a set at BikeBandit.com and these are the tires I found:

Shinko 006 Podium Radial Motorcycle Tire

Front: 110/70-17 (V Rated) = $59.99 "OR" 120/60-17 (W Rated) = $62.99

Rear: 150/60-17 (V Rated) = $82.99

Here is my question:
                            • How good is this company? It got a 4.5 out of 5 rating on the site.
                            • Can I go with 120 in front?
                            • Should I be consistent and use 60 ride height on both or have 70 upfront and 60 in the back?

Keep in mind that I use this bike to go to and from work 5 days a week, 30 minutes each way. This bike is street driven with little highway use. I don't go very fast, and stay no higher than 70 MPH. The only thing I might do is got to Pocono's one or two times, which will be my first time. So please let me know what you think. I like the price and the shipping is $17.85 fixed to anywhere in US. Just got off the phone with Dave and if I order it tomorrow, than I can have them Thursday or Friday of this week.

Thank you all, again.

Comment

I think you will find most people on here would not recommend Shinko. I've never used them so don't know first hand. Just remember, there are 2 things touching the ground and keeping you from wrecking. Not sure those 2 things are where you really want to skimp to save a buck.

Comment

Working...
                              X