X

New Rubber (Edit: Review)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rubber (Edit: Review)

good news: Well, i just got back from riders choice in missasuga. picked up a set of Michelin Pilot Powers for my kat. A 120/17 front and a 160/17 rear. Total cost $385 installed. Not too bad considering time is money, and it's almost been 2 weeks since i rode last, because of a flat rear tire. At this point i was ready to pay almost anything for a new set of tires.

Bad news: Since i left work at 12:30, to make it up there before they closed, i'm now stuck at work until 11:00 to make up the hours and get two projects sent off before the holiday weekend . Also i won't get to mount them until tomorrow. More bad news. i was in such a hurry to pull the wheels off and get back on the road, that i forgot to un-bolt the calipers on the front. Which resulted a bit of a scratched front rim. Oh well, i wanted to polish them anyway.

A 120/what and a 160/what..?

120/60 or a 120/70....and 160/60 or a 160/70?

Big difference!

Let me know...you'll love the change!

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

oops, sorry. they're 70 series. I really hope the're alot better, heard nothing but good reviews. Although anything would be better than the macadams

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau
        oops, sorry. they're 70 series. I really hope the're alot better, heard nothing but good reviews. Although anything would be better than the macadams
        No doubt they will be better than the crapadams!!!

You could ride on plywood, and they'd be better.

Cool choice. The 70's should be fine.

If you are really into SNAPPY turning, your next set can be the /60's....especially with the 160/60 balancing out the rear. You'll love it.

Happy carving!

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

I have a 2005 gsx750fk4.
          I need new rubber as the dunlops it came with are crap.
          I can get a pair of diablos, on special. They are 120/70/17 and the rear is 160/60/17.
          A, Will it take a 160 on the rear.
          B, what are the benefits of a 120/60 on the front, the advice I have so far is yeah, get decent rubber, keep it a 70 profile on the front.

Waddya reckon
          "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"

Comment

Congrats dan.. Nice choice w/ the pilots !

Comment

Ok, here's the review thus far.

I've got about 600km on the new tires now, and they're nicly scrubed in now from edge to edge.

WOW

What a difference. They are a bit twichy, and seem to like being leaned over more than they do upright though. But thats not really a problem, as so do I . the twichyness is pretty easy to get used to though, and not really that unerving.

Once they really heat up though, the traction and feedback are excelent. They are very confidence inspiring. Played around with tire pressures a little bit and 34-front and 36-rear seem to work pretty good. Although i will be playing around a bit more when i get down to the gap.

The best lesson i learned from this, is that using greasy hands to put on new tires + rider error = one bruised hip, broken clutch lever, bent foot peg, lightly rashed fairing and case cover. Making a left hand turn from a stop sign. Mid turn, back end starts to come around to meet the front end. almost rode it out completly, when poor throttle input sent the back all the way around. It was definatly rider error on my part, compounded by the fact that i might as well been riding on ice. Given the slow speed i probably could have just let off the gas and put a foot down. Instead of using body enlish and throttle to come out of the slide (although it almost worked). It's a good thing I was wearing gear though. walked away unscathed except for a badly bruised hip, and slightly damaged ego. I'm still very mad at myself for this, because i'm always a anal about details, and to overlook something as big as that just ticks me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikko
                I have a 2005 gsx750fk4.
                I need new rubber as the dunlops it came with are crap.
                I can get a pair of diablos, on special. They are 120/70/17 and the rear is 160/60/17.
                A, Will it take a 160 on the rear.
                B, what are the benefits of a 120/60 on the front, the advice I have so far is yeah, get decent rubber, keep it a 70 profile on the front.
                Get the Diablos, or Diablo Stradas, or Metzeler Z6's -- all will serve you well. The Stradas and the Z6's are better if you are an all-weather rider, the Diablo's are better if you're a dry weather canyon-carving type (although they won't last as long).

(A) Yes, it will take a 160 on the rear. This will improve dry-weather grip, but reduce handling compared to the same tire as a 150 (the narrower the tire, the faster the handling);

(B) search for the answer -- it's here: http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7959

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

. . . Mid turn, back end starts to come around to meet the front end.
                  Dude, that's exactly what I did with a new back tire..only I didn't come out of it quite as good as you did.
                  Keep the rubber side down!

Comment

The best lesson i learned from this, is that using greasy hands to put on new tires + rider error = one bruised hip, broken clutch lever, bent foot peg, lightly rashed fairing and case cover.
                    Note to self, go clean off rotors and wash tires .

I just finished putting my rims back on the bike, fresh Z6s mounted last night. I haven't even had her out of the garage yet lol.

Quick question, what's the tourque on the front axle? I know the small bolt that pinches the right fork is 16 ft'lbs (from memeroy) what's the axle?
                    Kyle

Comment

The funny thing is that i remembered to clean my rotors, but completely forgot about the tires.

I can't remeber the tourque spec off hand, but it's siting in the top of my tool chest. i'll be home in 30 minutes, but i'm sure cyber poet will chime in before then

Comment

I can't remeber the tourque spec off hand, but it's siting in the top of my tool chest. i'll be home in 30 minutes, but i'm sure cyber poet will chime in before then
                        Well, if you insist...

98+ Kats:
                        Front Axle nut - 32 lb-ft
                        Brake caliper mounting bolts: 7 lb-ft
                        Front Axle pincher bolts - 16.5 lb-ft
                        Front fork clamp bolts - 16.5 lb-ft

Don't know the numbers for the pre-98's, but I'd expect they'd be about the same.

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

HHmmm Now all I need is a 12mm Hex socket so I can tourque it right . Right now All I have is a standard 12mm allen key.
                          Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
                            HHmmm Now all I need is a 12mm Hex socket so I can tourque it right . Right now All I have is a standard 12mm allen key.
                            Time to pop by Sears or the hardware store...

cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

You're lucky your fall wasn't worse. A buddy of mine did the exact same thing with new tires. He put his leg down in reaction and snapped his knee but saved his Katana... ended his motorcycling career that he was just starting. He just had a second operation and has been off work for months.
                              Suzuki Katana: The best underated motersicle in da woild

Comment

Working...
                              X