X

CONDITIONING & CLEANING CHAIN...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CONDITIONING & CLEANING CHAIN...

What are you guys and gals using to clean and maintain your chain? I use Chain Wax and it's great. Doesn't fling off as much as Lube.
    sigpic

I normally take a rag and use some kind of cleaner to clean the chain. Then I use Chain Wax to relube the chain. It is what I always use. Works preety good for me..
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Kerosene to clean and then some chain lube.

Works every time.

Comment

i use chain wax and do a 1/4 of the chain a week so that by the end of the month the whole chain is done.
        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Originally posted by zleviticus
          i use chain wax and do a 1/4 of the chain a week so that by the end of the month the whole chain is done.
          Sad just sad. Please tell me I didn't read this.
          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Moose Chain Scrubber, Sludge-Away to clean. 2 minutes.

Oils. Whatever chain oil is handy, usually something with PFTE & moly in it. Apply after each longer ride; if it drips, I don't care. Splatter is usually pretty minimal after being parked overnight.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I use Maxima Degreaser as it's biodegradable and just washes off, then I use the Maxima chain wax every other fill up. Chain never streches and it lasts forever
              sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
              MSF Rider Coach 27028
              MoPowerSports.com
              Torco
              SoCalTrackDays

Comment

You guys clean and wax your chain???? Man you guys are weird!!!!
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

Re: CONDITIONING & CLEANING CHAIN...

Originally posted by tdrcomm
                  What are you guys and gals using to clean and maintain your chain? I use Chain Wax and it's great. Doesn't fling off as much as Lube.
                  Nothing 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Highsight2020
                    Originally posted by zleviticus
                    Sad just sad. Please tell me I didn't read this.
                    what? that is what the dealer told me to do...

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

i clean with wd-40. PJ 1 blue can or silicone lubricant.

tim

Motorcycle Consumer News recently tested 22 different brands of chain lubes (yes, including WD-40!) for "initial rolling resistance, post rolling resistance, sling off, corrosion resistance, grit resistance and value; the top 6 "Recommended" products were (in order of scoring):

PJ1 Chain Lube Black
                      Kawasaki K-Kare Foaming Chain Lube
                      Yamaha Performance Chain LubricationC
                      Pro Honda HP Lube
                      PJ1 Chain Lube Blue
                      Torco Power Slide Titanium

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
                        i clean with wd-40...
                        I'm going to mention this for the newbies, since I have no doubts you've already heard me say it:

I feel doubious that the 45% Stoddard cleaning solution (aka dry cleaning chemicals) in WD-40 are good for the o-ring/x-ring seals' long term health. I strongly suspect the stoddard solution accelerates the loss of VOP's in the synthetic rubbers that make up the seals, resulting in earlier than typical failure. As a result, I avoid use of WD-40 as a cleaning agent for my chain. You can draw your own conclusions.

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          Originally posted by trinc
                          i clean with wd-40...
                          I'm going to mention this for the newbies, since I have no doubts you've already heard me say it:

I feel doubious that the 45% Stoddard cleaning solution (aka dry cleaning chemicals) in WD-40 are good for the o-ring/x-ring seals' long term health. I strongly suspect the stoddard solution accelerates the loss of VOP's in the synthetic rubbers that make up the seals, resulting in earlier than typical failure. As a result, I avoid use of WD-40 as a cleaning agent for my chain. You can draw your own conclusions.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          but iut does make a pretty good starter fluid though..

Comment

Working...
                          X