X

Looking for wheels

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for wheels

Anyone have some sources for replacement wheels. Those OEM's are just flat out ugly. I'm not looking for chrome so don't send me down that road please, I'm just to old and lazy to polish chrome. So if you have some suggestions thanks for sharing.
    Darrel
    '04 Honda F4i

Re: Looking for wheels

Originally posted by slowflyn
    Anyone have some sources for replacement wheels. Those OEM's are just flat out ugly. I'm not looking for chrome so don't send me down that road please, I'm just to old and lazy to polish chrome. So if you have some suggestions thanks for sharing.
    How much are you thinking about spending? Are you thinking more modern wheels from a different production bike or full on custom wheels? Aluminum, carbon???

Comment

BST, Marchesini, Marvic, OZ, PVM, RC Componets all make after market wheels in either aluminum, magnesium, or carbon fiber. Most of them are very loightweight thus reducing unsprung weight and are super trick looking as well. Only downside is when you start talking any kind of aftermarket custom wheel, your talking big $$$ All of the above listed manufacturers have prices ranging from $1500-3500 for set of wheels. Kind of crazy to thinking about putting a set of $3000 forged magnesium wheels on a $4000 bike.

Comment

Why not, ricer cars have $4000 wheels on a $2000 car, and a $3000 stereo.
        -- SIG WANTED - APPLY WITHIN --

Comment

Q: Is it that you don't like the design, or that you don't like the finish?

If it's the finish, there are many possible solutions, including powder coating, plating of various metals (doesn't have to be chrome), painting (traditional or clear-color treatments, like POR-15).

If you don't like the design, you may want to look at wheels that would fit from other bikes (eBay, etc.), or go the high-dollar route suggested by Walteri.

KNOW THIS: if you go with a set of magnesium or carbon fiber wheels, your bike will change drastically in many respects. The acceleration will greatly increase (less rotating mass to rotate up), the braking distances will shorten (less rotating mass to slow down), the handling will become razor sharp (sharp enough to consider a steering damper), and the suspension will need to be adjusted.

cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Guess I don't even know enough about what is out there to even ask an intelligent question. The stock wheels are just a black space where a wheel should be, the design and finish are just blah. As far a prices, I'm sure sanity will come into play at some price point. I have never changed any vehicle either 2 or 4 wheel, so I'm just playing with this bike. It's cheaper to play with bikes than my other passion which is airplanes, now your talking about spendy prices for parts.
            Thanks for your input while I get up to speed.
            Darrel
            '04 Honda F4i

Comment

Working...
            X