X

wheel confusion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel confusion

ok, i'm new to the bike world and i'm a little confused with some stuff. for the most part i understand everythin i really need to know, but i don't quite get the whole wheel situation. what is the differnce between wheels??? i know there is a size matter, but as for the connection of it to the bike??? like a car has a lug pattern, does a bike??? if someone could help me understand this, i'd appreciate it.
    Q. "What do you think when you see a pretty girl walking down the street" -A. "One side of me says, 'I'd like to talk to her, date her'. The other side of me says , 'I wonder how her head would look on a stick?"

Can you clarify? Do you mean tires or wheels?

For the most part, the aftermarket is specific to brand. Are you looking to fab up something on your own?

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

i'm talkin wheels.
      Q. "What do you think when you see a pretty girl walking down the street" -A. "One side of me says, 'I'd like to talk to her, date her'. The other side of me says , 'I wonder how her head would look on a stick?"

Comment

The wheels have several possible differences:

(A) The physical size in terms of diameter/radius.

(B) The physical size in terms of width between the mounting flanges which the tire lip seals to.

(C) The size of the bearings & axel, or alternative system it is designed to mount to. Obviously a system designed for a single-sided swing arm isn't going to mate up to a dual-sided swing arm.

(D) The material they are made of, and as a result, the mass (weight) of the wheels (which directly affects handling)

(E) The side the chain/sprocket/belt gearing is designed to mount to, the pattern/spacing, or if it even takes one (some bikes use a shaft drive), as well as any cushioning at the wheel end of the drive system to help offset drive lash (cush drives).

(F) The location and design of the outer section support structure. Some wheels use thin spokes that penetrate the wheel, some use solid or hollow strut-style spokes (the Katana), some use spikes that do not penetrate the wheel (some BMWs come to mind). This aspect of the design also usually dictates whether the wheel is designed to be used with tubeless tires or intertubed tires (or *very rarely*, can be used with both).

(G) The way the tire pressure valve mounts (center, off center, spoke-mounted, etc).

(H) The height of the mounting flanges (different types of wheels for different uses can have differing flange heights & designs).

(I) The finish and appearance.

(J) The mounting system for additional items which are tied to the wheel aside from the propulsion method (such as brake rotors -- how many, what size, center or rim-mount, or does it use drum brakes; speedo sensors, ABS sensors, etc.).

That enough variations, or should I continue?

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

oh that's plenty. now my questions is what should i look for in regards to aftermarket wheels??? on my car all i gotta do is find a wheel with the right lug pattern and that will fit in the well. but what could i look for for my motorcycle???

Comment

Aftermarket wheels are VERY expensive. Good luck finding them that will bolt right up to a Kat. For one, the Kat's axle is very small. Another problem would be getting them so your rotors bolt up and are spaced properly. I don't think you're going to find any that will work.
            -Steve

Comment

well damn. do i got any other options???

Comment

Originally posted by Hegmann1391
                oh that's plenty. now my questions is what should i look for in regards to aftermarket wheels??? on my car all i gotta do is find a wheel with the right lug pattern and that will fit in the well. but what could i look for for my motorcycle???
                What you do is find a cross-reference to every bike whose OEM wheels will fit your bike (examples: SV650 [all?], bandit 600 [01-05], etc.) and then go see what aftermarket wheels you can find to fit any one of those bikes. Most places won't list the Kat as a cross-reference, but may still list older GSXR's or Bandits, etc that will.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X