X

chain and sprockets for swapped 600 engine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain and sprockets for swapped 600 engine

Soon I'm going to be swapping an '06 kat 600 engine into my '93 kat, and it seems like a good time to go ahead and get a new chain and sprocket set. Should I be shopping for a chain and sprocket set for a post or pre98 kat? Also, I was planning on raising the sprocket ratios 20 or 30% over stock. Does anyone have some experience with what a good setup for that would be (in terms of sprocket teeth, chain width and number of links)? I'm not sure if I should be measuring the change over the stock pre98 or post98 ratio. Oh and while we're at it, does anyone know what the chain and sprocket setup is on a pre98? The numbers I'm finding in past threads and on various sprocket sites are all over the place.

Thanks for the help

I got an RK chain (a 530, I think) and a sidewinder trimetal 14 & 50 sprocket set. They really did increase the low end torque, but lowered my top speed, which I really didn't give a rats @$$ about. I have a pre though, so I'm not sure what the proper setup would be on a post.
    The bad part about a post is that the speedo comes off of the transmission, however, if you only have a post engine, then you shouldn't have any issues, as the speedo comes off of the front wheel.

If you do a search, there are lots of threads on changing the sprockets. I've been told that RK is the best for chains and Sidewinders are the best for sprockets, but others have told me that DID chains are just as good and there are other sprocket manufacturers too.

In choosing your chain, make sure it is a rivet one and not a clip one...you'll thank me later.
    -
    -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Working...
    X