Macadam dilemma

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macadam dilemma

Hi guys,

I just bought a 99 rear rim for my 'pre' in order to put a 160 on it. The dilemma is that it came with a new 150 Macadam on it. I'm basically just a commuter rider. I've read less then great things about this tire on the boards, but I hate to throw away a tire in great condition. Is this tire so terrible that I should replace it?
    Also, the rotor in the rim is a little rusty. Can I just take some steel wool to it or should i have a shop 'turn it'?
    thanks!
    Dave
    Dave

Take it off and sell it in eBay?
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Or ride it till it needs a replacement then buy the 160.
      2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
      BMC Notorious 918 HT
      2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Sell the crapadammit on ebay. I believe CP can give you a premade layout for selling it there. You should get a good couple bucks out of it...... enough to soften the blow of a new tire.

What do you have on the front?
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I have a new Pirelli Diablo Stadas ready to be mounted.

Dave
          Dave

Comment

Mount the Stradas, you'll see a big difference in handling. Sell the crapadam on ebay and try steel wool unless it's got some deep grooves in it.
            R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Thanks for your helpful advise guys!
              Dave

Comment

Does anyone here actually take the time to READ post, or do you just skim over and then fire off your already half-baked opinion, regardless of what the OP ask? I bring your attention to this tidbit:
                Originally posted by Dave_LeMay View Post
                ...I'm basically just a commuter rider...I hate to throw away a tire in great condition.

You will get squat for that tire used. "Soften the blow" of the cost of a new tire? The $10 you get for it is not even worth the time to post it on Craig's list. Ride that rubber till it's done for, then replace it. You will be money way ahead, and you will appreciate the new rubber much more.
                "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

I'll take that tire for a reasonable price. Always nice to have a spare around. I had the macadams on my bike for two trips to the gap with no problems.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                  You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
                    Does anyone here actually take the time to READ post, or do you just skim over and then fire off your already half-baked opinion, regardless of what the OP ask? I bring your attention to this tidbit:

You will get squat for that tire used. "Soften the blow" of the cost of a new tire? The $10 you get for it is not even worth the time to post it on Craig's list. Ride that rubber till it's done for, then replace it. You will be money way ahead, and you will appreciate the new rubber much more.
                    , I'm with that answer there. By the time you go back and forth trying to sell that one, it won't be worth the effort. Ride it until you don't want it, then pitch it. If nothing else, ride it until the end of this season then a replacement can be your winter project. Who knows, you may just like that tire. Everyone has different riding preferences.

Also, to shift gears a little. This is just my opinion but I think different tires brands work well on different manufacturers bikes. I know that Macadams used to work pretty good on the older (91-99) Ninjas.
                    The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

First, I don't appreciate your tone.

Now, maybe I'm wrong about the market for these things, but I got $70 shipped for my old Shinko in "nearly new" condition, and that's kind of a limited-market tire (bad in rain, flat profile, etc). I wouldn't expect him to get any less than that for his tire, if it really is in nearly new shape.

Somebody once told me that if they sold 30k mile motorcycle tires, that nobody would buy them, because we value the grip for the sake of our safety, not just for performance. For this reason, I still wouldn't recommend keeping the macadam on, even if he would only get 50 cents for it selling it......... We each have our opinions, but popping off about how we obviously don't read the original post is not the way to state yours.
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

He asked for opinions and that's what we gave him. What Dave lemay does with it, is his choice. Right Dave?
                        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                          First, I don't appreciate your tone...
                          Frankly, I don't care.
                          "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Frankly, I don't care.
                              I wouldn't expect you to. Especially with a post like that last one...... maybe you need a drink or something. I don't know. I do know that I don't really care what you think of me either, as that little ditty you posted dropped most of the respect I held for you (which was truly based almost entirely on your choice of avatars in the past) when you blurted out your opinion like it was an obvious fact that this man should toss his already purchased Strada in the attic, and ride on the currently mounted Gripless-Wonder for what could be YEARS until it's down to the cords, just so he can have not wasted a tire that still had treads on it. (Notice I didn't refer to it as a "good" tire, but rather one with some miles to go still)

And for the record, I would never have said a thing about your post if you hadn't come bursting onto this thread, talking down and accusing the rest of us of not reading the original post.

Comment

Working...
                              X