X

problems taking rear tire off

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems taking rear tire off

ok i finally recieved my rear tire in the mail and i'm trying to get the rear tire off and it won't budge. Help PLease.

you trying to remove the actual tire from the rim, or the whole assembly from the bike? I never done a tire before, i just take the rim into the shop with my new tire, and tell them to throw it on. I know that if you want to take the tire off the rim, you have to break the bead.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Use a really big c-clamp.I have a couple I put on at the same time.You clamp them down on tire by the rim,and presto off the bead it goes.

Comment

not the beads but the actual wheel assembly from the swing arm

Comment

You aren't giving much to work on here, so how about LCD.
          Pre brakes, I think they need to come off the rotor before the wheel will drop, but I don't know for sure.
          Loosen chain adjusters.
          Remove axle.
          Allow wheel to drop.
          Move wheel forward and get the chain out of the way.
          Remove wheel out the back.
          Not sure where the problem is past that.
          Pics
          Pics
          No pics yet
          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Unless you can balance your own wheel you might as well just take it in to a shop to have have the tire mounted and balanced.

If you want to try mounting yourself you'll need like a wedge made of wood and a very accurate swing with a heavy hammer to break the bead.

Once that is done you'll need a few pry bars (3-4) & several strips of thick plastic (cut from a 5 gal oil pail or similar thickness or leather strips) to protect the rim from the pry bars.
            Starting on one side of the diameter start working the tire off whilst making sure the bead is in the grove to allow maximum slack around the tire bead.
            It will eventually come.
            Now do the same with the other bead.

That was the easy part.

It's basically the same in reverse to mount it.
            Just make sure your rim is protected at all times from the pry bars.
            Also leaving the wheel/tire in the sun will allow for the tire to stretch more easily.I had to use a heat gun because it was overcast and cold the day I did it with my dad.
            He has a balance machine and lives 3 hours from the nearest place to change a tire so that is why we did it.
            It ain't fun by any means so I'm not going to say "Have fun"

EDIT:

O'k. Forget it!

I thought it was the tire.................................
            Last edited by Omerta; 09-17-2008, 07:06 PM. Reason: WTF?
            2000 Kat 600
            2001 Dodge Dakota 287
            sigpic
            Originally posted by sportn1200
            As my Moma always said that is why they make chocolate and vanillia peoples taste are different.

Comment

its at the begining basically i lifted the bike on a rear stand and trying to loosen chain adjusters and axle

Comment

Loosen the axle bolt first.... The adjusters shouldn't move if it's tight.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Omerta View Post
                  Unless you can balance your own wheel you might as well just take it in to a shop to have have the tire mounted and balanced.

It ain't fun by any means so I'm not going to say "Have fun"
                  It has an axle and bearings, balancing is a piece of cake, and the whole process isn't that bad. I'm down to an 1.5h for both wheels from the time the bike hits the center stand.

Sorry for the OT Gumby.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

i'm trying to i looked in the maual and i'm doing everything right i just can't get the axle to loosen at all. do i need a breaker bar?

Comment

You have a wrench or something on the other side right? Is it moving at all?

If it's just spinning put some penetrating oil on it and let it sit for a while.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

So you have removed the cotter pin, and you are trying to loosen the axle nut correct? Lefty loosy?
                        Pics
                        Pics
                        No pics yet

Comment

its not moving at all

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                          So you have removed the cotter pin, and you are trying to loosen the axle nut correct? Lefty loosy?
                          correct
                          Last edited by gumby1220; 09-17-2008, 07:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

PB'laster on the threads, and jack handle on the wrench, she'll move.
                            Pics
                            Pics
                            No pics yet

Comment

ok thanks for the help everyone do appreciate. and i'll do what you suggest thetable.

Comment

Working...
                              X