X

tire size

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire size

what is the wides tire that will fit 160 now is that because of the rim on the 98+ 4.5 inch wide
    if you get a wider rim 5 or 5.5 inch could a bigger tire be put in the stock swing arm on a katana 98+
    any one tried this
    it would not be any fun if it was easy! but does it have to be this much fun!!
    Give A Person Expetations To Live Up To Not to A Reputition To Live Down !!

Re: tire size

Originally posted by ghelper
    what is the wides tire that will fit 160 now is that because of the rim on the 98+ 4.5 inch wide
    if you get a wider rim 5 or 5.5 inch could a bigger tire be put in the stock swing arm on a katana 98+
    any one tried this
    At 160 on the 4.5 you are at your limit. a wider rim requires swapping out the swingarm, there is no direct swap for a wider swingarm it requires extensive modification.
    You may be able to SQUEEZE a 170 on the rim but, when I did, it required modification of the brake arm, and the clearances are very tight. I don't recommend it.

Comment

Avon (a subdivision of Cooper Tires) makes a 170 that will fit the 4.5" rim of the 98+ Kats without modification.

KNOW THIS:
      Wider tires are only better if you need them to overcome the amount of horsepower being laid down; narrower tires handle more sharply, steer better, cut water and dirt better (i.e. avoiding hydroplaning), and make the thottle & brakes more responsive (as there is less rotational mass to have to spin up & down). Odds are you will not get a positive benefit from moving to a 170 width tire unless your bike is putting out 90+ rearwheel horses (although unless you compare new tire to new tire, you'll never know for sure).

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

cool thanks

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          Avon (a subdivision of Cooper Tires) makes a 170 that will fit the 4.5" rim of the 98+ Kats without modification.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          my 170 is rated for the 4.5" rim, but still had clearance issues with the swingarm and brake arm, but alas, all tires are not made the same so a 170 by another company may not cause these same issues.
          I'll be posting some pics of my setup and the tire changer I used later.

Comment

Originally posted by chriskatana
            my 170 is rated for the 4.5" rim, but still had clearance issues with the swingarm and brake arm, but alas, all tires are not made the same so a 170 by another company may not cause these same issues. I'll be posting some pics of my setup and the tire changer I used later.
            What brand are you talking about in your statement?

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              my 170 is rated for the 4.5" rim, but still had clearance issues with the swingarm and brake arm, but alas, all tires are not made the same so a 170 by another company may not cause these same issues. I'll be posting some pics of my setup and the tire changer I used later.
              What brand are you talking about in your statement?

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              My tires are Shinko, they are a the 009 raven Hp radial.

Comment

My tires are Shinko, they are a the 009 raven Hp radial.
                Ah, the Korean entry into the motorcycle tire market... And not Z-rated either.

Interesting...
                Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Pics of my 170

HERE'S my 170 mounted to the 4.5" rim on my 93 Kat 600.
                  notice the VERY tight clearances on the swingarm and brake arm.
                  The tire doesn't touch, just the little hairs on the very edge of the tread.

FYI:

Little info on Shinko Tires:
                  They bought out Yokohama's motorcycle tire business.
                  For continuous street use with very good traction at the strip, it is hard to beat the Shinko R003 also available through Schnitz Racing. It is basically the old Yokohama tire used by shootout racers for years before the introduction of the MCR2. Shootout racers would pay as much as $500 for USED Yokohama’s after they quit making motorcycle tires. Enough said.

Comment

now that is tight i have only see a few thing that tight

Comment

That's too tight for my tastes, by a long shot. Even a bit of minor road debris could bind that tire to the swingarm... I don't even want to think about the adhesion at the rim lip with that tire... I hope it works out well for you.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Man that is crazy. I never thought I'd see a 170 on a Kat. That is a really tight fit. I dont think I would feel comfortable riding with such little clearances. No room for chassis flex. How bout adding a some links to your chain? Get the wheel further back where the swingarm is a little wider. It looks from the pics that the widest part of the tire is right where the swingarm starts to widen. Just a thought.
                        '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Originally posted by floxera
                          Man that is crazy. I never thought I'd see a 170 on a Kat. That is a really tight fit. I dont think I would feel comfortable riding with such little clearances. No room for chassis flex. How bout adding a some links to your chain? Get the wheel further back where the swingarm is a little wider. It looks from the pics that the widest part of the tire is right where the swingarm starts to widen. Just a thought.
                          I am working on that, looking into a 98+ swingarm and a longer chain when i do the swap.

Comment

I am working on that, looking into a 98+ swingarm and a longer chain when i do the swap.
                            Cool why the 98+ swingarm? Is it tapered differently? A little wider?
                            '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Originally posted by floxera
                              Cool why the 98+ swingarm? Is it tapered differently? A little wider?
                              a little wider and a little longer.
                              Plus it will allow me to use 98+ dogbones to adjust the height, I want to lift the tail.

Comment

Working...
                              X