X

How many o-rings?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many o-rings?

Since this is the first time i have taken the time to actually work on a bike rather than run it into the ground... sell it... and then buy a new one a year or two later i have to ask the really stupid questions.

The o-ring is the piece of plastic/rubber on the side of each link?
    How many o-rings need to fall off before i replace the chain?

Comment

"Muck, what part of "Thou shall not" didn't you understand?" GOD

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          OK, you'r right.
          "Muck, what part of "Thou shall not" didn't you understand?" GOD

Comment

anyone else want to get involved in the divide by 2 contest?
            -
            -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Just the one who posted it... .0625

got it. Thanks all!!

Comment

If you're listening. Your chain has failed as soon as you suspect O-Ring failure. Any traces of red on the chain, any rust, replace it.

I know it is unlikely to happen with modern kit but i had a friend who almost lost his foot when his chain snapped. Apart from tyres it's the most improtant part of your bike (who needs brakes anyway...)..

Well that's my two penneth..
                The early bird may get the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...

sigpic '92 GSX750F, Motad 4-1 Exhaust, Conti Road Attacks (120/70 & 150/70)

Comment

Don't f**k around with your chain too much. If it decides to let go, it can do some real damage..... to your motor, to your leg/foot, to your back, to your passenger, to the car behind you....... It's important. Listen for strange noise, clean and lube constantly, check for stretch on a regular basis.........
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

O-rings maintain the internal lube for the chain rollers. Heavy lubing will compensate for a while, but it's just a band-aid over a serious problem. The real question is why the O-ring failed in the first place -- lack of lube, too much debris, too much heat, or exposure to chemicals you shouldn't have gotten close to your chain.

KNOW THIS:
                    Chains and sprockets wear together. Replacing one without replacing the others will cause everything to wear to the same levels as what you just took off the bike in very fast order.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                    X