X

aftermarket wheels

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aftermarket wheels

Anyone know if there are any after market wheels that are lighter that will fit on the kat. i know older gsxr wheels fit but is there any advantage to them, with the weight. If not does anyone know what i can try to do to get lighter wheels.

I know alot of people say its not worth the money, but this is what i want to do.(insurance is to much for me for a new bike and the kat is to much fun)
    for a 91 kat(813)
    The Katana's Big Brother
    1999 1200s StreetFighter Bandit

All the aftermarket wheels I've seen seem to start at around $800 a pair , and them's the CHEAPER ones . Seen a magaizine article recently where some carbon fiber wheels were fitted on a GSXR750 in Motocyclist for a paltry 4 grand ....
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

You can find suitable wheels out there, since the same basic wheel design is used on a number of different Suzuki products (SV650, Kat 600, etc). When going to aftermarket wheels, light weight is the primary issue -- magnesium is probably the best choice for the street (carbon fiber is way too expensive and not apt to handle repeated potholes for years well).

Where to start:
      Go to RonAyers.com and start cross-referencing bike wheels from the fiche files -- find out which bikes share the same part numbers as your bike or as those wheels which you KNOW are interchangable with your bike (e.g. - although 98+ Katana wheels have different numbers based on color, they are all interchangable).

Then using that list, go search for aftermarket wheels. You may also want to pick-up various magazines which will list various wheel vendors in their back-of-mag advertising.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks cyber, also how much of a benifit will i get from the wheels, how much lighter are they usually, if i go with the magnisium ones.

so im basically looking at about 1000 for the pair
        The Katana's Big Brother

Comment

Originally posted by katana91
          thanks cyber, also how much of a benifit will i get from the wheels, how much lighter are they usually, if i go with the magnisium ones.

so im basically looking at about 1000 for the pair
          If you're lucky. I'd guess closer to $1400 - $2k for the pair.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

what about weight benifits. andn performance benifits
            The Katana's Big Brother

Comment

Originally posted by katana91
              what about weight benifits. andn performance benifits
              Biggest possible difference other than tires and major engine displacement change.
              Lower wheel weight means lighter steering (less rotating mass to change direction), better suspension reactions (less mass to push back down to the ground), faster braking (less mass to slow down), better acceleration (less mass to spin up). Only thing you lose is some straight-line stability because it will be quite content to change directions faster.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks for the help as always
                The Katana's Big Brother

Comment

Working...
                X