X

Got my new Shinkos...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my new Shinkos...

Ohkay, here goes...i got my new tires yesterday, arrived on time and in good shape. My front tire was in HORRIBLE shape, not only BALD, but sloped on one side worse than the other, so i decided to have the front replaced for now (mostly cause that's all i can afford right now). I had made several calls getting prices and the best i could come up with was about 40 bucks per tire. So i decided to take the front wheel off and take it in with my new tire and just have them mount and balance the new one. Took the newly mounted tire home and installed it back on the bike, and while i was tinkering i decided to flush all the brake fluid because the bike is an 04 and has never been done. Got all that done, wiped down the bike since the last time i had ridden it was in the rain, and took er out for a ride. Now, even with the crappy Michelin that was on it before i never noticed a wobble PERIOD. But now that the new tire is on, i have a deceleration wobble right at 45 MPH, and yes if i hold the bars it is not as noticeable, AND i did check the bearings and such while the wheel was off. Now, at first i thought maybe because it was a new tire and still a little slick that might be the culprit, but i dont think that is the case. I did read some threads and i hope that it is just the balance, but i dunno. I did notice that the wheel weight is almost exactly opposite the valve stem and it is a 30. does that seem like a lot? I want to call and have them rebalance the tire but i thought i would get some opinions before i call and biatch about it. Whatcha think? BTW, it is a 120/60 Shinko 005 series...dont know if that would make much difference since it doesnt have the centerline tread like the Magdam had? Any input would be appreciated...
    "Insert something witty here...."

If it's taking 30g of weight in one spot, that's too much for a motorcycle tire in my opinion. Have them deflate it, flip it about 120 degrees on the rim, and try it again.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

30 grams would only equal one ounce which is not that bad.

Tmod

Comment

Ok, check this out...so i had the front tire installed. I took the rim off and took it in with the new tire thinking that they wouldnt charge me as much labor, but i still had to pay 40 bucks anyways.....so i get the wheel back, new tire installed, etc, etc, and now i have this wobble right? So i called the place and explained what was goin on and he says to bring it by and he would check it out. cool. so i go by there today after work and dude drives it in the shop, comes back up front about 2 minutes later and asks me about the bearings. i say they looked fine and felt fine when i removed the wheel and reinstalled it. then he says, well your back tire is pretty worn out, that could cause some vibration also.............ok.... now mind you, it was raining when i took it there and he didnt take out to speed to see the violent shake of the handlebars i was explaining to him. so i play stupid and say "really?" ..... "oh yeah" he says....hmmmm.....then the other guy that was there says, "your rear air pressure was also low and that can contribute to the vibration"...."really?, i just checked it like a week ago?" (still playing dumb) so i guess my question is how much smoke are they blowing up my as* and will low rear tire pressure and the fact that the tire is pretty worn out REALLY cause the violent handlebar shake that i have now with the new front tire? oh yea, he also said he would have to charge me another half-hour of labor to remove the wheel and rebalance it!!! SOB so i am going to take the bike up there tomorrow and have them install the rear tire, BUT...i am going to make sure he rides it BEFORE AND AFTER he installs the rear tire just so that he doesnt think im crazy...

I think at least he could do is rebalance it for free just to make sure its right, dont you?

any opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
          30 grams would only equal one ounce which is not that bad.

Tmod
          An ounce isn't bad....... if it's going on say a 225/60-16 car tire. On a very light motorcycle wheel/tire, that's too much. It needs to be spun on the rim. It's also possible that it didn't seat right. I wouldn't expect that tire to need more than half that amount of weight.

Now.....
          Is your wobble only when braking, or does it do it when you're just off the gas and coasting down? And it's a side to side wobble, correct? No strange noises from the brakes?

The truth is, even needing 30 grams to balance out, I wouldn't finger that as the cause of a wobble. I would be more inclined to look at the following.....
          Bearings- wheel, swingarm, and steering head
          Brake rotors
          Wheel/axle spacers

And if all that fails, raise the front of the bike, and spin the front tire as fast as you can. Check for runout, and side to side wobble in the wheel, the tire, and the rotors.
          Last edited by loudnlow7484; 07-08-2008, 11:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
            An ounce isn't bad....... if it's going on say a 225/60-16 car tire. On a very light motorcycle wheel/tire, that's too much. It needs to be spun on the rim. It's also possible that it didn't seat right. I wouldn't expect that tire to need more than half that amount of weight.
            Now I didn't own my bike when the rear tire was installed but I have 70 grams of weight on that sucker. My point is not everyone seems to agrees with your weight limit on a motorcycle tire. I do agree that what I have is a little much You seem to work for some place that does high performance tire balancing and that is great but some shops (most shops) don't really give a damn as long as they get you out of the door. The person that owned this bike prior to me was a avid dealer customer so I have no doubt that the dealer did the tire balancing.

Tmod

Comment

The wobble is only on DEceleration at around 45-50, BUT it does vibrate all the way up to around 60-65...I may not be a bike mechanic, but i do work on cars for a living and i know that a rear tire out of balance wont make the steering wheel shake, so what would be that much different about a bike?

Comment

Originally posted by Kat-astrophe View Post
                The wobble is only on DEceleration at around 45-50,

I think that's failry common with Kats...I only say that because mine does it too....

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

I doubt it this but here's my .02 on what might cause this as it comes from experience. My 1100 had a bad fork seal when I got it ran straight no wobles everything was good. So I replaced the fork seals and put it all back together and took it out on the freeway got up to speed and took my hands off the bars and it started this violent shake. Now it had never done this before and the only thing I replaced were the seals. Turns out that one of the fork tubes was bent. I replaced the bad fork and just for piece of mind the axle to. Now I can cruise down the road at any speed and take my hands off the bars and its fine. So has your bike ever been down that you know of ?
                  My carbon foot print is bigger than yours.

1988 GSX1100F with 93 plastic, Avon AV45 front & AV36 rear rubber and a SS2R full exhaust system.
                  Other bikes:
                  2 1985 CR500
                  1 1987 CR500
                  1 2003 CR85 Supermoto

Comment

yes, as a matter of fact it has been down once, on the left side about 20mph, but it still NEVER wobbled until i had the front tire replaced...and now, since i had the rear tire changed, it wobbles from around 45 all the way down to around 30...so i dont know if a fork tube is bent or not, but why would it just show up now?

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                      Now I didn't own my bike when the rear tire was installed but I have 70 grams of weight on that sucker. My point is not everyone seems to agrees with your weight limit on a motorcycle tire. I do agree that what I have is a little much You seem to work for some place that does high performance tire balancing and that is great but some shops (most shops) don't really give a damn as long as they get you out of the door. The person that owned this bike prior to me was a avid dealer customer so I have no doubt that the dealer did the tire balancing.

Tmod
                      Yeah, I'd say 70 grams is too much!

I sell jewelry now..... but when I did work on cars, I didn't do it at any real high performance shop or anything. I worked at a car customizing shop (big rims, and only occasional motorcycle wheels), and I turned wrenches at Sears for a while. I've just always been more detailed than that. It's a shame that there's so many mechanics (bike and car) that just don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by Kat-astrophe View Post
                        yes, as a matter of fact it has been down once, on the left side about 20mph, but it still NEVER wobbled until i had the front tire replaced...and now, since i had the rear tire changed, it wobbles from around 45 all the way down to around 30...so i dont know if a fork tube is bent or not, but why would it just show up now?
                        Like I said I doubt its a bent fork tube but that did cause my bike to wobble. You may just have a bad tire.
                        My carbon foot print is bigger than yours.

1988 GSX1100F with 93 plastic, Avon AV45 front & AV36 rear rubber and a SS2R full exhaust system.
                        Other bikes:
                        2 1985 CR500
                        1 1987 CR500
                        1 2003 CR85 Supermoto

Comment

Working...
                        X