X

Well I'll be .... (couple questions)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I'll be .... (couple questions)

So the snow just melted in MI and I pulled the bike out of the back of the house, planning on synching the carbs and checking the tires and starting the season ... BZZZTT

Somehow the valve stem failed whilst it was just sitting in the house with me working on it. I got the bike to the garage and filled the front tire only to be greeted by air audibly rushing out from around the base of the valve stem !#@!

I was planning on getting new shoes for her anyways since the Battalx BT020s were getting a bit worn. Not close to the wear bars yet, but the rear was getting squared off (commuting) and the front is cupping.

I guess I'm in the market for some new tires. So I'm looking at

1) ContiForce Attack
    2) Pirelli Diablo Strada
    3) Metzler Z6

I've searched around and everyone seems pleased with these makes. Any advantages between them? I'm sure any of them would be better than the BT020s on there now ... they aren't real confidence inspiring.

Also what difference does going up one size of tire make? Currently she's shod with a 120/70 front and 150/70 rear.

I guess its just a case of
    - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
    2005 F4i -

I'm posting HS2020 description.
    This would have been a simple search.

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
    Ok let me chime in here. I run the M1 Sporttechs on my 89 Kat 750. I have the 120/60 in the front and the 160/60 in the rear. I do have to say the 120/60 does not turn in as well as the 110/70 I had on the front. I went to the 120/60 front because of my riding style. I was using all the front to the very very edge. So the 120/60 keeps me in check. That is my thinking anyway. Now the M3's are good tires and stick very well. Dapig has them on his 2006 750. I would go with the 120/70 front and the 160/60 on the rear. your rear rim is a 4.5 inch and can handle a 160/60 with no problem. Going to the 160/60 in the rear gives you a little more tire choice without having to special order the 150/70. My rule that I have always gone by is you can go up or down 1 size and be fine. Anymore than that you are setting yourself up for trouble. There is a formula on how to calculate the closet tire size to stock but I do not have it. One of my Sgt's did the math for me one day and I should run the 120/70 over the 110/70 or 120/60. The 120/70 is closer somehow to my stock size of a 110/80. So with your being on a 98+ Kat go with the 120/70 front and 160/60 rear in which ever tire you choose and ride safe.

Comment

Working...
    X