X

The things you do for love

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The things you do for love

As some know and even fewer care I am building what I have dubbed "The Time Machine". My Katana is an 89 750 that carries a very strange medley of both pre98 and 98+ parts and bodywork. The bike came to me as a freshly rebuilt roller with no body. Sure I could have slapped a stock pre98 body on it and called it a ride but where is the fun in that?!

OK enough background info lets move forward......

A great many people have moved up to a 4.5 inch rear wheel on the pre98 and everyone says it is a "must do" mod. Not a problem for most, you just pick up a new wheel on ebay from a 98+ and slide it right in. That would have been real easy and is in fact what I had planned to do. I bought a 98+ rear with rotor and had planned to put it in with the spring tires. But wait...there is a problem, for me at least.
    Just simply switching to a 98+ works great but then the spoke pattern no longer matches. You have one swept wheel and one straight wheel. Most people would never notice unless you pointed it out.....but I am not most people and this isn't going to be most bikes. HMMMMM

So I PM our greatest "make it fit" modder and ask what other Suzuki used a 4.5 with a swept pattern. He gives me a list of a few bikes and I'm off to ebay again. This time I score a 89 1100 GSXR wheel. NOS unit still in the box. Never seen a bike and no question about straightness. Only problem... no bearings, rotor, cush pads, cush hub or sprocket. RonAyers carries them all but they run more than I paid for the wheel. HMMMMMM

So back to ebay I go...... This time I score an 88 750 GSXR wheel in good used shape and it comes cush pads and cush hub and rotor. I've already painted the rotor from the 98+ to color match the bike which will fit on the NOS 89 rim, which means I just need bearings and a sprocket and I may finally be in business

This post is basically pointless. I was just sitting here thinking about it though and it occured to me that because I am being anal retentive about something no one will notice, I now have 4 rear rims including the stock pre98 and I still don't have the right combination to make the swap

Good news though, I think I finally have it figured out so after I get it finished I will have a whole collection of rims for sale (3 for those counting) and a list for each one of the parts needed to make them work. Keep an eye on the parts forum in the coming weeks if your interested in making this swap..... or you can try the way I did it
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Um this may be a stupid question but why didnt you get the matching 98+ front wheel?
    PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
    The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by UFO8MyCow
      Um this may be a stupid question but why didnt you get the matching 98+ front wheel?
      Not a stupid question at all. I thought about trimming the fender and putting on a 98+ front but I really wanted to keep the swept style wheels. I have this vision in my minds eye of what this bike will look like when finished. A lot of it is just personal taste rather than ease or price.

Another example of retentive.....
      I just paid more than I needed to buy Kevlar brake lines. They are not any better than stainless, just more expensive. Still, they are what I had in mind for this bike so that's what it gets. Stupid and wasteful I know but aren't most custom projects

Comment

Jim is most definately an ebay beast !! NIce work, and you'll definately if not already, have one of the most creative Kats on the road.

Comment

Jim as soon as you get that rear wheel on let me know. I thought that a early GSXR rim would work but wasn't real sure. So if you do not have clearance problems I might be doing the same thing. Now will the early GSXR front rim work on the front too? This will be a next winter mod for me. I have to get them chromed if not powder coated a certain few colors. By the way where do you stand on the bike being painted?
          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020
            Jim as soon as you get that rear wheel on let me know. I thought that a early GSXR rim would work but wasn't real sure. So if you do not have clearance problems I might be doing the same thing. Now will the early GSXR front rim work on the front too? This will be a next winter mod for me. I have to get them chromed if not powder coated a certain few colors. By the way where do you stand on the bike being painted?
            Oh it'll work, it's just a matter of putting together the right combination of bearings, hubs and rotors. So far it looks like I use the wheel, cush and sprocket from the early GSXR, Rotor from early GSXR or 98+ Katana and 98+ katana bearings and pre98 Kat spacers.

Right now paint is planned for 2 weeks from now

Comment

Looking forward to seeing it Jim. Damn ebay, it's addictive I tell ya...you should she the parts I'm starting to amass for my gsxr 7/11 project

Actually, the same thing happened to me when I put my GSXR/R1 front end on. I needed a number of various nuts/bolts/and spacers to mount the front fender and a couple spacers for the axle. The dealer added up the total and it too was more than I paid for the whole front end! Now I rarely buy anything on ebay that isn't complete with hardware unless it's super super cheap!

Comment

wait! if you do the front rim swap on the pre 98s you have to cut the fender? someone please explain as i was thinking of doing both wheels to 98+

Comment

Originally posted by lucky6man
                  wait! if you do the front rim swap on the pre 98s you have to cut the fender? someone please explain as i was thinking of doing both wheels to 98+
                  I haven't done it so I am not 100% but I think BearKat put a 98+ on his and said that you have to trim the backside of the fender because it is too narrow and will rub the tire. If I remember right it was only a small amount that needed trimed (maybe 1") to clear the tire edge and not the whole backside.
                  The other option is to use a 98+ front fender which is a straigh bolt on but IMO it doesn't look right with the pre98 bodywork.

Comment

Cool Jim. Just let me know exactly what it will take. You are still using the pre98 front rim?
                    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Hey Jim,

When it's all said and done, let me know...I know a guy that makes seat cowls.
                      You got it.
                      Get on it.

www.georgiasportbike.com

Comment

Originally posted by Reece
                        Hey Jim,

When it's all said and done, let me know...I know a guy that makes seat cowls.
                        Somehow when I saw your name as the poster I already knew what you had written before reading it.

Ya, I heard he's good but kinda slow. I might have to get one of those!

Comment

Looking forward to seeing firsthand what you've done at our camping trip ...
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                          X