X

decently priced sport touring tires?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• decently priced sport touring tires?

I'm going to need new tires for 1989/90 Katana 750/600 wheels (they're the same size, right?), and was wondering what to go with.

I daily ride my bike, and at times it's as cold as low 20s here. I understand that no tires are going to stick all that well in the cold, but I'd like something that isn't bad enough that it's unsafe. I also ride in the rain, so I'd like something that'll do decently then. I do a decent bit of freeway riding (minimum of about 30 miles/day), but take the fun way home when I can (reasonably twisty). I want something that sticks reasonably, but that I also won't be wearing out in 3k miles (hopefully more like triple that). Any suggestions?

Also, what sizes should I go with?

The bike in question is not a kat, but it's just about the same weight so I think it'll be about the same on tires as one. A bit less power though, and if it matters I don't care at all about appearance.

thanks
    -Daniel

Metzeler Z6s, great tire. Excellent Mileage, great in the rain and sticky enough to keep you out of trouble.
    Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post
      Metzeler Z6s, great tire. Excellent Mileage, great in the rain and sticky enough to keep you out of trouble.
      +1
      that's what i run. like 'em!

Comment

How many miles do you get out of them? and 120/70 up front, 150/70 out back?
        -Daniel

Comment

Well , stock is a 110/80- up front , but 120/70 seems to be the common replacement , yeah .
          I like the Diablo Stradas , which are essentially the same tire (almost ) . I'd let you know about the millage thing , except I can't seem to go more than a couple thou without picking up a foreign object and needing a replacement .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I've gotten 10 or 11000 miles out of both sets of z6s I've had. Currently running my first set of strada's so I can't say what they get a set. But it looks about as good as the z6s so far.
            Kyle

Comment

pretty much the first link I found googling metzeler z6 was this: http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews...s/metzeler.php

looking around more on his site I found this article: http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews...oad-attack.php
              the last line in it: And in my opinion, the Conti is a better tire than the Pilot Road and the Metzeler Z6 in every way! It grips better, handles better and lasts about the same as the Pilot Road and way better than the Z6.

anybody try using them?

he also seems to really like the Pilot Road, but I'd like something that wears a bit better than them.
              -Daniel

Comment

I run ContiForce tires and plan on getting another set once these are done.
                "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                JOHN 16:33

Comment

The Conti's, the Metz's, and the Pirelli's are all good tires, and I dare say that you won't be disappointed with any of them. The only way to know which will be best for you is to ride them all.

I already have my next set of Conti Forces sitting in the basement waiting for the temps to come up a bit, the only reason I didn't go with the Attacks is they weren't available from AmericanMotoTire when I placed my order. In six month's I will probably be putting a set on. Sometime after that, I will be putting a set of the Z6's on, and by that point something new should be out for me to try. The only tires that I really wasn't impressed with were the Avon AV55/AV56, and all my complaints on those are about longevity, and what I believe was a broken belt in the front tire.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Ok, anybody know a good place to order the Road Attacks online? I think I'll go with them.
                    -Daniel

Comment

Not bad prices here and he would probably combine shipping with the front tire to save you some cash. I bought my ContiForces from him almost a year ago and he shipped them lightning fast and combined shipping to save me money.

Last edited by KatanaSoldier; 01-24-2008, 03:45 PM.
                      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                      JOHN 16:33

Comment

If you use your bike as a commuter check out the pirelli diablo strada III's they work really nice...it's a touring tire...with the grip of a sport tire, they run for 150/70/17Z about 150 rear and for 100/70/17 (front) right at $100

Well worth it...warm up quick

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

best place I've bought tires from is http://www.sporttour.com/index.htm
                          Best prices and fastest shipping ever.
                          The last set I ordered em on thursday and they were delivered to me the next day.
                          Blew my mind.
                          Check em out

Comment

Originally posted by Streaker View Post
                            best place I've bought tires from is http://www.sporttour.com/index.htm
                            Best prices and fastest shipping ever.
                            The last set I ordered em on thursday and they were delivered to me the next day.
                            Blew my mind.
                            Check em out
                            wow, their prices are good, and shipping isn't bad either ($10/tire). I'll probably go with them.
                            -Daniel

Comment

Americanmototire . I've bought MANY from them . SHipping is usually included on TOP of great prices . .
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X