X

Looking for Rim Help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Rim Help

I am looking for a 4.5" rim to put on the rear of my '93 600. I have found some bike "graveyards" around here and was wondering what older bikes came with a 4.5" rim that is compatible. I am sure some of the older Gixxers came with them, but I don't know what year, etc. Also, would any of the SV or RF rims work? I don't want any wider than a 4.5 (don't think they would fit anyway) because I JUST bought a brand new rear tire and it is a 150/60-17. Don't think it would fit on a wider rim.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

98+ wheels will fit, you'll need a 98+ rear rotor though

check here http://katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=464
    -- SIG WANTED - APPLY WITHIN --

Comment

The only thing about using a 98+ rim is the "spokes" of the newer Kat rims are straight. The front rim I have (and don't want to replace) has the curved "spokes". I would like for them to match.

I have found a 1988 GSXR 750 rim that is 4.5" for pretty cheap, I just need to know if it will work before I spend the money.

I am sure someone (maybe cyberpoet) has THE LIST of compatible rims.

Does anyone know what is the widest rim that will fit in the swingarm? Looking for later down the road when I might need the traction.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Waltari can probably tell you which ones will fit also. I had mine widened by Kossman and it was pretty cheap. I know that SV650 rims are supposed to fit but you run into the straight spoke problem again.
        sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
        MSF Rider Coach 27028
        MoPowerSports.com
        Torco
        SoCalTrackDays

Comment

The GSXR rim should fit. But you will have to have the brake caliper to go with it. I would just look for a deal on a front and rear rim from a 98+ Kat. That way you have two sets of rims. One that you can chrome out or paint and ones you can leave stock. I know that the ones that put GSXR rims on the Kats also did the GSXR swingarm swap. So look at all your options. I know Frogger on here did the GSXR swingarm and rim swap...
          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Hightsight2020-

Do I need the Gixer CALIPER or the ROTOR? I would just convert both front and rear to the newer ones, but I am on a tight budget, and I can find a used Gixer rim cheaper.

I can't get into the swapover to the Gixer swingarm at this time. My living conditions do not allow it. I am hardly at home, and I have no garage to leave a torn apart bike in. All I have is a front porch or front yard right now. Can't wait to move from here in about 6 months and get back into a house instead of this "apartment". I have a storage room full of tools and no place to work on anything. God this sticks!!

Future plans are to do an engine swap with a modded Gixer motor.... maybe do the swingarm swap at that time. Might just need the ability to go with a bigger tire after that.

Thanks again to ALL who answer.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

I feel your pain. I have a garage but can not tie it up. True about the money. all you need for the 98+ rim is the rim and rotor. The rest will bolt on up. Waltri has a rear rim....
              www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I'm not the one to ask about this -- SpecialK is... and he'll probably have the wheels in stock (used) as well. If you're worried about the look of the spokes, replace both and resell your front wheel.

The real question is "why do you need the bigger rim"?

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cyber-

Special K is the one who told me to post a thread. He told me he has some 4.5" rims, but I was wanting to do some scrounging around here local to see what I could find. I have thought about replacing both and reselling both of my rims after I change over, but I am trying my best to go the cheapest way.

I do not "need" a wider rim, but I am running a 150/60 on my 3.5" rim, and the side wall is pulled in pretty sharp. It rides fine, I was just thinking if I put it on a wider rim, it would sit better and have the profile it was meant to have.

The real question that I was trying to find out is when I go to these junkyards, what year of Gixer wheels do I need to be looking for? I guess I can just look at all of them and find the one with the curved spokes, and says 4.5DOT on it.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

As far as the slanted spoke rear rims go, 88-89 gsxr750 were 17"x4.5" and the 89 gsxr1100 was a 17"x4.5" (the 88 gsxr1100 was a 18"x4.5")

After 1989 the GSXR switched to a 17"x5.5" If I remember correctly, the 94-96 RF600rr used the same 17"x4.5" slanted spoke gsxr rim. If I'm not mistaken, the 97 and earlier Bandit 600s also used that same 17"x4.5" slanted spoked rim. Here is a RF600 rear on ebay right now

Here is a correct year GSXR rear rim on ebay right now

A guy in LA that used to go by JocMe68 was running an 89 gsxr750 rear rim no problem and should be an easy swap. All you should need is the rear rim & rear rotor.

On the other side, I still have that awesome straight spoke 98+ rim/wheel/rotor just siting here that another member has dibbs on but unless the little woman says ok soon, it to might be up for grabs (nudge nudge)

Hope this helps a little

Comment

Waltari-

Exactly the information I was looking for....... THANK YOU!!

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

YES I know you are talking about me Matt. She hasn't give the go ahead yet. So if you get a bite on it then by all means do it. I do not want to hold you up from selling it.
                        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by Highsight2020
                          YES I know you are talking about me Matt. She hasn't give the go ahead yet. So if you get a bite on it then by all means do it. I do not want to hold you up from selling it.
                          Ahh I just have to have a little fun with you. Still collecting dust...

Comment

LOL. I know. I have things collecting dust too. I get that from you I have to get a 98+ front them have those chromed. Will it ever end?
                            www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Working...
                            X