X

Tire Size Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Size Question

Been reading Katriders.com since July when I got my '04 600...you guys are an excellent resource and do your fellow riders a great service.

Motorcyclesuperstore.com has a great deal on Metzelers right now and I'm thinking about picking up a set. I've browsed all the forums but I still have a question about sizing. I know OEM calls for 120/70ZR17 up front and 150/70ZR17 in the back, but I'm thinking about going 160 in the back for a little bit more aggressive look. Do I get a 160/60 or a 160/70? And do I need to match the front tire to the same (i.e. 120/60 paired with 160/60 or 120/70 with 150/70)?

Thanks in advance for your responses, much appreciated.

I have been looking for this also and have not been able to find this information. However, I am sure the info will come about very soon.

Jedd

Comment

Yes the 160/60/17 will be fine on the rear. 120/70/17 and a 160/60/17 is the same set up the SV650 runs and it has the same rims. You will be fine.
      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
        Yes the 160/60/17 will be fine on the rear. 120/70/17 and a 160/60/17 is the same set up the SV650 runs and it has the same rims. You will be fine.
        It is also the same setup the new gsx650f runs
        myspace
        2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Note that the 160/60 advice is only for the 98+
          The pre-98 has a narrower rear wheel that makes mounting a 160, although feasible, unsafe.

Meanwhile, going 160/60 gets you a pinched tire with a warmer center, colder edges and more odds of hydroplaning in water. But I guess it looks cool to those who actually notice a difference (guarantee the girl walking down the street can't tell the difference and couldn't give two shakes about it -- so do it only to impress yourself or your bigger-is-better testosterone poisoned man-pals).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
            Meanwhile, going 160/60 gets you a pinched tire ... and more odds of hydroplaning in water.
            Care to elaborate? If the tire is pinched it would actually have a narrower contact patch, and would be less likely to hydroplane.

Personally I prefer the 150/70's because it is so much easier to eliminate all semblance of chicken strips.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

If you want a 160 you need a 98+ rear wheel, you can also put a 170/60 on a 98+ rear wheel whit out compromising the handling.

Comment

I run a 160/60 on my 3.5 pre98 rim. It does not pinch no more than a 160/60 on a 4.5 inch rim. I have to do nothing to get it to fit. I spin it on fill it with air and go. I was told once before by someone my bike would vibrate apart because I am suppose to run bias ply tires. Whatever .I have ran 2 up almost dragging the footpegs on a pre98 rear rim with a 160/60. The main thing is do not try and put a bridgestone on there. It will not work at all. Metz,Pirelli, and Michellin are the only ones I know that work correctly. Their sidewalls are at a steeper angle than the others. Just go study the sides of the tires you will see what I am talking about. I have been running a 160/60 on my bike for the last 5 years.
                www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                  Care to elaborate? If the tire is pinched it would actually have a narrower contact patch, and would be less likely to hydroplane.
                  Even pinched, comparing same-brand/make 150 vs. 160, the 160 doesn't have a narrower contact patch than the 150. Add in the distortion on the 160 affecting the effectiveness of the land/sea design (i.e. - the grooves and how they move liquids) and the 160, even if crammed on a 4.5" rim, still proves easier to hydroplane. The 160 will tend to wear the center away faster as well (since it runs the center hotter, resulting in greater wear), so the contact patch tends to widen out at a faster rate than the 150 as the tire wears, increasing that issue.
                  For a lot of our riders in dryer parts of the country, it's irrelevant, but down here in the SE with it's summer monsoon season, such factors can be very critical...

I don't even want to comment about how many ways Jimmy is off his rocker on this one...
                  Let's just say it is mathematically & phsyically impossible that a 160 doesn't get pinched any further by pulling the mounting edges in to 3.5" apart instead of 4.5" apart... Think about it...

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

It's just like this:

Pre98 rim (3.5")

Recomended for stock rim : 150
                    Can be used, but is up to you : 160 (many Kat owners use this size without any issues)

98+ (4.5") rim on pre98

Recomended : 160
                    Can be used without any issue, but is up to you : 170 (I have one installed, no issues so far, and better handling)

if you have a 98+ Katana you can put a 180 on it but is not recommended for the reasons Cyberpoet just said (but has been done by a few Kat owners I know and they love the 180)

Comment

Even pinched, comparing same-brand/make 150 vs. 160, the 160 doesn't have a narrower contact patch than the 150. Add in the distortion on the 160 affecting the effectiveness of the land/sea design (i.e. - the grooves and how they move liquids) and the 160, even if crammed on a 4.5" rim, still proves easier to hydroplane. The 160 will tend to wear the center away faster as well (since it runs the center hotter, resulting in greater wear), so the contact patch tends to widen out at a faster rate than the 150 as the tire wears, increasing that issue.
                      I'm afraid I can't follow on this one. Let me start out by addressing the pinched portion. I will be using data for the Conti Force, as I couldn't find the Metz info.
                      Recommended rim width for a 150/70-17 is 4.00, 4.25, 4.50. For a 160/60 they are 4.25, 4.50, 5.00. For a 170/60 they list 4.25, 4.50, 5.00, 5.50.
                      I think this dismisses that the tires are pinched.

I am not sure how you come to the conclusion that the center of a 160 will be hotter than a 150 given you are also saying that the it has a wider contact patch.
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet
                      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

The same information from above is what I have encountered all over the web. So how come so many KR enthusiasts are so against a 160 or a 170?

Comment

I don't even want to comment about how many ways Jimmy is off his rocker on this one...

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Marc You have seen me ride that is all I am going to say about that.
                          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

put a 200

or maybe a 300

a 300 will look gr8
                            Last edited by Kat750GSXF; 12-01-2007, 09:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

would like to bump this topic and see if any others have opinions on this as 160's are more available over here (and cheeper than 150's as a consequence! )

this will give more options on tire choice!

Comment

Working...
                              X