X

Strange tire wear issue.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange tire wear issue.

Alright tire gurus, I am having an issue with strange tire where on my front tire, Avon Storm AV55 FTR. The left hand side of the tire has significantly more wear than the right side. By significantly, I mean at least 2/32. The tires I had on before didn't seem to exhibit the same wear pattern on the left side, and I am very anal about checking tire pressures. All this is after putting only 6000 miles or so on the tires. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the wear? The wear on the back tire is completely normal with pretty much identical wear on both sides.

I will try to get pictures up tonight, well after the board switch at least, trying to show the difference and the wear.
    Pics
    Pics
    No pics yet
    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

You "check tire pressures" but what are you setting them at? Avon recommends 36 front and 42 rear. That's alot higher than the 32 / 36 Suzuki spec.

Comment

Avon's website list them as the factory 33/36

But being fat , I have been running the front at 36 and the rear at 40.
      Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Crown in the road maybe?

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

It would have to be like a 20-30 degree crown to be wearing the tires where they are.
          Pics
          Pics
          No pics yet

Comment

Nope, crown has nothing to do with it. Your left side problem is actually "typical" wear.

Your answer is here: http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/

FRONT LEFT SIDE TIRE WEAR:
            NOTE: "LEFT"& "RIGHT" are herein referred as one is sitting on the bike.
            There has probably been more misinformation and speculation concerning this common wear pattern on motorcycle tires than just about anything else. Why do the front tires show wear on the left side early? (Of course, that is a USA question as you will come to see.)

Read the article for the actual explanation and just a ton of other information on what to look for in tire care. Fantastic writeup on it!

ND

Comment

I've read that before ans just read it again, but the amount of wear in my tires just seams excessive especially after only 6000 miles, I am almost down to the wear bars on the left side.
              Pics
              Pics
              No pics yet

Comment

You're in VA and if I remember you folks had an exceptionally hot summer. You put a lot of those miles on summer roads? Sport tires are softer so they'll burn at a little bit faster rate on hot tarmac. Then again, you only turn left on your way to where ya go? If your turns are mostly left, and it was always hot, you might have scrubbed some additional rubber you normally wouldn't have.

Yep, I'm grabbing at air. What you described in the original post was just matching the classic model based on the examples in that link.

Comment

Originally posted by Novelldude View Post
                  If your turns are mostly left, and it was always hot, you might have scrubbed some additional rubber you normally wouldn't have.

I must admit that was my initial thought but I didn't want to post it
                  Riding 2002 GSX600F for 2 years. UK rider.

Comment

..........you can also check for front end alignment..........look at the difference in widths from your forks to the rim, measuring it with a plunge type micrometer. If they are off a wee bit, this would then be exagerated down at the pavement. If they are off, replace your washers or shims or axle bearings at the front axle.

Then, check the head bearings - I've found more than a few of the older Kats have worn top or bottom bearings from lack of grease. This may cause the stem to tilt.......
                    I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                    Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                    Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I was planning on doing bearings over the winter, but I will go ahead and order them and do them now. I will try to measure when I get home.

I really want something to blame this on other than longer left handers. It has been warmer than normal this summer, but when I think about it, I make more right turns than anything. Thanks all for the information.
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet

Comment

"Left hand turns have a larger radius than right hand turns in right side driving countries, hence you ride farther (and likely faster) turning left than turning right with subsequent increased side band wear on the tire's left side. The left side of your tire has more miles on it (in some extreme cases, twice as many) than the right side of your tire." - best explanation I've heard yet.

Comment

I have a similar issue. As I sit on the bike, the left side of the front tire has more wear than the right side. I was sure that I tend to favor the left side more, mean I would rather lean to that side. So I started paying attention to how I make my turns, and I definately have a little more confidence when I make a left turn. I also tend to corner left a little faster than I cornered right. It's like being a righty or lefty. I've almost been riding a year and I have worked out the issue. I'm getting new tires this week anyway. 9,600 miles and I'm finally getting rid of the stock tires.
                          myspace
                          2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Just remember to rotate your tires twice a year and you'll get around the issue... mount the rear backwards in the front, and the front backwards on the rear rim when you rotate them to get even wear.

for those who are truly clueless: this is strictly tongue-in-cheek humor

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                              Just remember to rotate your tires twice a year and you'll get around the issue... mount the rear backwards in the front, and the front backwards on the rear rim when you rotate them to get even wear.

for those who are truly clueless: this is strictly tongue-in-cheek humor

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Unless of course you have a war era BMW or Ural..

Comment

Working...
                              X