X

Anyone know about Dunlop GT501s?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know about Dunlop GT501s?

The guy at the stealership recommends those.

and now a ? about the max sizes

The manual says
    110/80 17 front
    140/80 17 rear

and lists Dunlop (K655F front and K655 rear) and Metzeler (ME33 front and ME55A rear). These may not even be available any more.

Any reason to even get a 140 for the rear?
    Sounds like the max for the front are 120. Correct?

Comment

I have used the tires that they replaced and they worked great. You can put a 110/70 on the front and a 150/70 or 150/60 on the rear and be just fine. Gives you more tire options. I would go with the M1 sporttechs from Metzeler. They are a good tire. You can not go wrong with the GT 501's either. I have never ridden on those but they will be just fine.
      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

The 501GT's will work, but I refuse to recommend bias tires for Katana riders because when a bias tire loses air, it quickly deforms, while a radial retains it shape significantly better (this means if you're in a turn when the tire gets punctured, you'll probably make it through on the radial, and you'll probably bite it with a bias tire). One of our riders [kwebbel] has great pics about this -- his tire took a 2.25" long x 1/2" gash in it during a high speed curve (truck part laying in the road) and he didn't wipe at all because the [radial] tire held it's shape until he came to a stop.

Personally, my recommendation for your bike is:
        120/70ZR17 Metzeler Z6 front
        150/70ZR17 Metzeler Z6 rear.
        Note that the "R" stands for Radial.

Careful on the ME33 & 330 /ME55 & 550 -- I didn't think they're still weight-rated for the Kat's operating load. I know they're definitely not marketed for it as the preferred tire anymore.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

Personally, my recommendation for your bike is:
          120/70ZR17 Metzeler Z6 front
          150/70ZR17 Metzeler Z6 rear.
          Note that the "R" stands for Radial.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Cyber,

I'm leaning towards the Z6s. For a 97 K600, is a 120 ok for the front?

Comment

you will slow the turning down a tad but not really noticeable. 120 will work!
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by nurider
              Cyber,

I'm leaning towards the Z6s. For a 97 K600, is a 120 ok for the front?
              You can push the numbers on either end by one width-step safely. Thus, a 120 will fit where a 110 was stock. The change from 110/80 to a 120/70 will also keep the outer edge of the tire in approximately the same location as previously (110mm x 80% = 88mm; 120mm x 70% = 84mm), meaning you won't have a huge glaring change in the speedo. Additionally, depending on the tire brand and make you previously had, you will probably find the handling better (sharper) due to the triple-apex design and wider footprint that the 120/70 will have.

PS - if I didn't think it was ok, I wouldn't have recommended it for your bike.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X