• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rim swap Pre'98 to 98+

Split from topic in "Parts Department". Good Info! - KR Mgmt
    --------------------------------------------------------

you can fit 160's on a pre98 swing arm?

I thought 150 was the highest..

Yes yuo can put a 160/60 on a pre98. I have it on my bike and it handles very well.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gsxxx600
      you can fit 160's on a pre98 swing arm?

I thought 150 was the highest..
      The swingarm isn't the limiting factor on a pre98, it's the rear rim width. Pre 98 katanas used a 3.5" rim which comes stock with a 140 and a 150 is the maximum recommended size.

A 98+ KATANA comes with a 4.5" rim A 160 is a good fit on this rim and most manufacturers are now making 170/60 r17 tires designed to be used on a 4.5" rim so if you had a 98+ or a pre98 with a 98+ rear rim, you could actually run a 170 if you so desired.

Comment

very interesting...I believe this was a discussion recently, but while we are here... to put a 98+ rim on a pre 98 swingarm, what other parts do you need to complete the conversion...i.e. rotor sprocket caliper pads brake linkage...?

Comment

It's really sooooo simple it's hard to believe.

All you need from the 98+ is the rear rim and the brake rotor (and the only reason you need the rotor is because it has a different number of bolts than the pre98)

So you remove your old wheel, pull the cush drive off of it (with sprocket still attached). Insert your cush drive onto the 98+ rim and bolt it all back together use your axle, spacers from your pre98. Thats it...it's that easy.

Here is an image showing how it fits. It literally took me about 5 minutes to swap the rim over from thre pre98 style.

and actually, since I've modified my bike and it's now wearing thr RF900 rear end that rim/tire/brake rotor are for sale $150+shipping

Comment

now if i just didnt buy a new rear tire, and spare pre98 swingarm...wed have a deal

Comment

Yes. Matt. I am still talking to the wife on letting me get that from you. Convincing her to let me do it is the hard part.
              www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari
                The swingarm isn't the limiting factor on a pre98, it's the rear rim width.

A 98+ KATANA comes with a 4.5" rim A 160 is a good fit on this rim and most manufacturers are now making 170/60 r17 tires designed to be used on a 4.5" rim so if you had a 98+ or a pre98 with a 98+ rear rim, you could actually run a 170 if you so desired.
                I just put a 170 on my pre98 using the 4.5" rim. When you go that big, the swingarm and the brake arm become the limiting factors.
                had to modify the brake arm so the tire wold fit, and the singarm clearance is VERY TIGHT.

Just something to think about for those planning to go to a 170.

Comment

do u have ne pics chris?

Comment

Originally posted by Gsxxx600
                    do u have ne pics chris?
                    not yet, may get some this weekend

Comment

cool, fill me in
                      thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Highsight2020
                        Yes. Matt. I am still talking to the wife on letting me get that from you. Convincing her to let me do it is the hard part.
                        Opps sorry, not trying to sell it out from under you...You definitely have first dibbs

Comment

Here's an on topic question: Don't the pre98 750s have a wider rim than the pre98 600's?
                          '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Nevermind I should have checked the fiches before I asked both 600s and 750s use a 3.5 inch rims.
                            '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Waltari, that is a great deal on that tire/rim/rotor package.

I did front and rear 98+ rims on my 1992 Katana 750. Wrapped in 120/60 160/60 Pilot Sports. The front rim is acctually a touch wider as well.
                              1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
                              2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
                              Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

Working...
                              X