X

Widest possible tires for Pre98?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widest possible tires for Pre98?

Getting new ones this weekend...any opinions on what size and brand?

I have a 1990 600 Kat. I use Michelin Pilot Powers. 150/60-17.

Super sticking really fun to use.

Comment

Avon makes a 300 ......
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

150/70 is the largest tire you can safely run on the stock wheel.

And Avon makes a 330 kit now....
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

....just out of curiosity what is the main reason you want fatter tires? Suzuki put a certain size on there from the factory for a reason....but maybe you favor the more "dragging" end of the spectrum?

Comment

I have a 190 on mine..ohohoh I want a 330 on mine!!!!

Comment

I've got a 160/60 Z6 on mine.
              96 Katana 600
              97 4 door Blazer LT
              03 Honda Pilot EXL
              sigpic

Comment

skinnier tires handle better, but bikes like the gsxr require fatter tires(different type) because of the power of the bike. Those bikes over come that by having more rake. kat does great with what it has. there are different types of tires out there to fill in the gap you need. so fatter tires are only a cosmetic thing except in chriskat's and some other higher hp kats.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

also if you put a wider tire on the kat, do it right via a swingarm swap, etc.

i had 200 on the rear from a previous owner................very sad, you my as well run out of front of a truck.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

At the moment I have a 150/70 tire on – but because it has been mounted on the standard rim, I cant use the hole tire (and it still looks like a 140) so what the point. (Don’t know if it is just the tire I have or if it is at common problem)
                    I agree on wider being a cosmetic thing – but I like nice stuff… If you want 160/60 tire, a solution is to get a 98+ back rim – it should fit right in the swingarm – i.e. no swingarm swap.
                    Greetings from the Land of milk and Honey – well yes... and Lego...

------------------------
                    95 Katana 600
                    05 BETA 270 rev3

Comment

Thanks everyone. Enormous help as always! Thats what i love about this site. Anyways im gonna go with 150/70 i guess. I dont want to end up killing myself because i put the wrong tire on! Besides cosmetics are there any other benefits to a wider tire on my 600?

Comment

no there are no benefits for a bigger back tire on a 600 Kat and even with a 190 on my bike it still spines the hell out of the back tire at any speed so the gain I got was minimal.

Comment

only other thing i can think of is greater tire selection, but still cosmetic

Comment

And a wider tire would atualluy HURT performance . Makes your contact patch smaller when leaned over.
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                            X