X

Front Tire Wear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Tire Wear

...I have owned my 03 Katana since it had 1933 miles on it and both tires are stock. I maintain the pressure at what they should be with a good tire gauge. I am wondering if it abnormal to have worn out to front tire at 7325 miles while the rear still has about 1000 miles left on it. I heard that tires usally last 4-5 for the rear and 7-8 for the front.... I do not think the rear was ever replaced...

What type of tire are you running???

My Dunlop D205's got 9,875 miles on 'em before I had to change.

My D220's got 12,000 miles on them.

My current Metzler Z6's have about 8k on 'em and the rear is getting a flat spot.

Just depends of what type of tire you got.
    2005 Aprilia RST1000
    2007 Dodge Nitro SLT
    1998 Chevy Tahoe
    www.midwestguntrader.com

Comment

i think in the case of z6's is that the rear has more meat on it on the back, and i think generally people wear out the front of z6's faster

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Lots of variables here - how you ride, your weight, how you hold your weight over the front, how you brake (front v rear??), condition of front end (fork oil, steering head bearings), what type of roads you're riding on, etc, etc.

All these can affect tyre longevity.

Comment

I just had the tires swapped out for Road Attacks and the dealer told me that it is probably the air pressure. I told them I kept it at 33 front 36 rear and they said that 36 front and rear is a better pressure to run. So I am giving that a go.

Comment

I tend to wear my fronts as fast as the rears , it seems . I actually made my last front bald on the shoulders while my rear still had tread . If you like to go in fast and on the brakes , it could happen .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

silly newbie question: how do you know how much tread you've got left and when it's time to change tires? I've got 01 katana with a bit over 8k miles on original dunlops.

Comment

There's a wear bar . A little chunk in the tread near the middle . You'll know it when you see it . When that's even with the tread , it's getting about that time .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

8K is a good estimate for changing. If your bike is an 01 than the tires might even be showing signs of age like cracking. Even if you are not to the wear indicators your tires will have cupping and flat spots. Change them out and you will notice a big difference in the handling.

Comment

Rear tire was pretty much shut, and I was told that the front one had maybe about 500-600 miles left in it. Now riding on a brand-spanking-new conti road attacks

Comment

Riding style and where you ride are the keys assuming pressures are kept up. I wore out my OE Dunlop 205 front in 4000 miles to the point of being bald on the sides while the center tread still has 1/32" before it gets to the wear bars. It also chopped badly just as the same tire on my FJ1200 did. The rear still has 2/32 at its most worn areas.
                      I'm hoping the Avon Storm's will be better for wear and traction.

Comment

Working...
                      X