X

diy or not?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diy or not?

I just got my 1997 600 a month ago and finally got it running last week. It starts to shake when I get up to about 55 mph and I believe its the front tire, which has definitely worn funny, which you can tell my running your hand over it. I want to change the tire but cannot decide how to do it. The mechanic in my town charges $65 if I bring the bike in and $20 if I bring just the wheel in. But I also have to buy the tire from him, which would be about $110 for a Pirelli tire. I know I can get a tire cheaper online and do it myself but I would feel more confident having it changed and balanced by a pro. Can anyone give me some advice. Also, how hard is it to get the back tire off to change, in terms of time. Thank You.

What type of tire? $110 for a Strada is not a bad price for a front. personally I would pull the front wheel off and let him mount and balance the tire. You may save a few bucks by ordering a tire online but you will have more headaches.

One dealer by me wanted $80 to replace both tires if I brought the wheels into the shop and ordered the tires from him. The problem was that he wanted about $140 for the front and $180 for the rear. I ended up taking my wheels off and brought them and the tires (purchased online) to anther dealer.

Comment

But , realize that you will have a GOOD chance of scratching things changing your own tires , ESPECIALLY your first time . If you don't care , then get you a few good irons , a good lever tool (like a prybar that's about 2 feet long) , and have at it .
      Oh , and I can have my back wheel of in about 5 minutes . Just take out the cotter pin , loosen the axle nut , and knock the axle out . That's it .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

...I dunno, my suzuki dealer charges $45 to mount and balance two tires on a bike with a center stand. I also got Road Attacks from them for $245 front and rear....not too bad once you factor in shipping. Plus all I do it ride in, wait an hour and ride out.

Comment

For $65 to pull the wheels, mount and balance... i'd let him do the work. I pay $60 when I bring the shop the wheels whether or not I buy the tires from them.

If those tires are both old, I would suggest you replace both front and rear if you are able.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I decided to go to a different mechanic who has the tire a little cheaper. I'm going to take the wheel off and take it in though, he has a 3 week wait for an appointment to take the whole bike in. I'll probably do the rear tire at that point. Thanks for the advice guys.

Comment

Working...
            X