X

Cracks In Tires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracks In Tires

I have some cracks in the side of my front tire, looks like the rubber has gotten a little old, the tread is still pretty good. How urgent is it that i change the rubber? Is it dangerous to ride on them?

Sounds like it is dry-rotting and time to replace. Is it just the front?
    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
    JOHN 16:33

Comment

Dry rot is unsafe, typically goes hand in hand with the hardening of the rubber... best to spend the $100 to replace... If the back is cracked too, make it $250 and do them both.
      "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

I was considering finishing off this season on it and changing them over winter. I might be forced to sell the bike and don't want to invest too much into it. I think the tread is good enough to last through the season.

Comment

How is your rear tire?
          "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
          JOHN 16:33

Comment

The rear tire has no cracks. The tread is still ok. I think I'll change them out during the winter.

Comment

It is your call on changing them out, but just know that when you have cracks in the sidewall on a bike it can spell disaster. The sidewall of a tire loses a lot of its strength once you start getting dry rotting cracks. Also remember that bike tires are NOT car tires. Bike tires rely a lot more on the sidewalls as you lean the bike over in curves and turns.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
              who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Working...
              X