Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

If you could only afford 1 tire which would you do ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could only afford 1 tire which would you do ?

If you could only do one tire front or rear which would you do? The reason I ask is cause im taking the front forks out and figure i could save some labor on the front and get it done. Do the rear later.
    If not a good idea i guess id wait to do both

I'd do the one that needs it MOST .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

How bad are they? Usually the rear will wear faster than the front, but it's always a good idea to replace them both at the same time.
      Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
      18v Rigid Drill
      Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
      New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Depends, are you changing tire brands/models? If you are going to end up with mismatched tires I would wait, or whip out the ole credit card and get them both at the same time. Mismatched tires=ill handling bike. If you're keeping the same brand tires on it, then like md said, whichever needs it most.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Mismatching tires isn't as bad as having two bad tires.
          The question is why do you need either?
          Cupping or an old dry tire should be replaced as it could go south faster than a worn one. If it only wear then change the one most likely to wear out first.

Pulling the rear tire is pretty fast and painless. There is a good write up with photos around.

Comment

If the tire is in good shape, and has miles left on it, I would ride it until I could afford to replace both (which I did on the Bandit).

When there are only those 2 tires between you and the road.... do you really want to take a chance with an iffy tire is the question....
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I'd replace the front. Sliding the rear is something that I'm becoming more and more comfortable with. I don't think I'll EVER get comfortable sliding the front though.

Comment

Hmm okay the tires i have now are kind of old so neither is really bad and they have lots of tread left but i figure may as well get it done while i can .

Comment

Mismatched tires=ill handling bike.
                  BULLSH!T

The main thing that will create an ill handling bike is running the wrong sized tires for the wheels or running worn out tires.

I REALLY wish people would stop spouting off the party line on this.

Running different tires will NOT cause your bike to go up in flames. It will NOT cause you to suddently lose control It will NOT cause you to lose grip for no apparent reason. For Christ's sake, stop telling people this.

Buy whatever tire you need the most if you need tires now. If the rear is shot, get a rear. If the front is shot, buy a front.

I run tires until they are toast snce I go through so many. Damned if I am gonna throw away a perfectly good tire just because one says Dunlop and the other says Pirelli.

Anyopne that knows me, knows I run the living piss out of all my bikes and you know what? I have NEVER wrecked due to mis-matched tires.

And who says people can't be brainwashed?
                  Ron
                  MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Well, consider me brainwashed then I have always been told that, although never tested the theory myself. It just made sense to me that the crown on Pilot Power is going to be more aggressive than a Macadam, so if you run these two different tires it's gonna feel funny riding it. But hey, Ron has prolly been through more tires in the past two years than I most likely will my whole riding life. I'll take his word for it. Thank you for the clarification.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

I know for a fact that a bad front tire is no fun to ride around on....
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk
                        Mismatched tires=ill handling bike.
                        BULLSH!T .........
                        I REALLY wish people would stop spouting off the party line on this.......
                        Anyopne that knows me, knows I run the living piss out of all my bikes and you know what? I have NEVER wrecked due to mis-matched tires......
                        And who says people can't be brainwashed?
                        And how did you come up with your user name again??

Thanks for the clarification.. I have run mis matched on all but one of my bikes as well. Biggest difference in handling I ever felt was when I put the stock sized tire on my CB750 (PO had an oversized one on) The bike wanted to turn in.. Handling difference was like night and day!

Comment

I just replaced my tires with a set of continentals. This is the first time in about 30 years of riding that I have had a matched set on a bike (except when the bike was new). After riding for a few miles I adjust to whatever tires/bike I'm on. I have no problems using unmatched tires. DO NOT MIX BIAS WITH RADIALS!

My next tire purchase will probably be a set of Shinkos. I can get a set for around $150 and doing the mounting and balancing myself - I can just replace them every year or two. New tires (even inexpensive ones) always feel better than old ones because they don't have all the flat spots.

From all the hail damage in my area there are gobs of roofing nails on the road. If I replace my tires before they are totally worn out I can use an old one if I get a flat on one of the new ones. I don't like riding on patched tires.

Comment

Hmm okay .. well I ordered a set of z6's and prob do the fron with the rear following soon after. Ill ride it for a bit with a new front and see how things pan out.

thanks fellas

Comment

Working...
                            X